PB Blue Catfish - Appomattox River

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by ramon06, Aug 16, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Went out with a gang of my Army buddies to our old favorite spot on the Appomattox River friday night. We Started at 7:30pm and fished till 3am. We caught about 20 fish between the 5 of us who actually fished besides drinking and talkin s#%t lol. I caught 4 blues between 4-8lbs 3 on Eel chunk and one on a bluegill head. I got plenty of bites on blue gill head but they were just hittin my bait and not getting hooked :confused2: at first I thought my 8/0 circles were failing me. I had 2 live gills on my other 2 poles and nothing would even brush them all night :angry:. one of my friends got a 25lb Channel about 11pm, we were all excited cause we had never saw a Channel cat that big, he got em on a piece of Eel chunk. We were also shocked because none of us caught a fish bigger than 10lbs from this spot before. I was very happy for my friend and it motivated me to sit down, evaluate and try something else. One of my other friends caught a nice 1.5 lb hickory shad on minnow about 12am, we cut him up into nice chunks, I threw a nice slice on and about 1am and I got a little hit that ended up being my biggest fish ever, a 62lb blue. Thank God for my bells. I thought it was a flat, he didnt fight too hard but man he would not come off the bottom. I got him close to the bank and he lost it splashing at the top like a bass, then he just ripped line from my reel and I eventually got him in with the help of one of my buddies jumping in the water to scoop him up in the net, whicj=h broke and he had to wrestle him in lol. I owe my CSM buddy a new net for the fish snapping his net in half and the three lines it ripped while I was fighting him lol:smile2: but hey I found all his lines and retrieved his hooks and weights. We also had a buddy get his rod snatched in the river by something and he caught it 10 minutes before we left. About 2am I got a 25lb Channel of my own on another slice of that hickory shad. Man I thought the 25lb Channels were huge but that 62 was amazing, I cannot imagine what a 102 lb fish looks like in person, but when I get my boat im gonna try to get em. Well just wanted to share that with you guys. Im gonna head to Dutch gap in about 30 minutes, I saved one more slice of that hickory shad and the head, and I got about 10 gills to use live and some shad, gill, sunfish and baby bass I put in the freezer that I caught in my local bait lake yesterday hopefully I can get another big boy at the James this time. By the way I released the 62 back in the appomattox and I let my 25lber go in the little lake by my house, kept the other 4 to eat. Unfortunately my friend kept his 25lb Channel to eat :sad2: I tried to talk him out of it but he wouldnt listen. I will try to load more pics when my friends email me the pics they took
    Attached Thumbnails[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Those are some nice fish, congratulations.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Thanks for sharing.. glad you had a good time and lets see more trips like that.. :wink:

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great job. Nothing like catching big fish from the bank. It is also great that you released most of them, it would be a shame to waste a nice #62 blue.

5. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Thank you Gentleman for all the love. I would never keep a beautiful fish like that. I'm hoping to catch his grandad one day lol. I really am grateful for catching that fish due to it being from the bank. We are so limited from the bank and I want a boat so bad so something like this might be a lifetime best for me, i will continue to try for the bigger ones, when you get that ring from the bell you never know what it is biting.

6. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Sorry the pics are so small, the bigger ones are in the Virginia river talk section

7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Congratulations on your new PB!

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    WELL done, Ramon!! Reps sent out to ya!!

Bill in SC

9. dcm

dcm New Member

State:
    ky
    outstanding and good luck in the future

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Awesome catch way to go!

11. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Ramon,dont sweat the bank fishing brother.You got a bigger one in your future.

12. bankfisher73

bankfisher73 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Congrats on the new PB and great story!WTG

13. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Great Read. Congratulations. Shad is the bait of choice.