PB Blue Catfish 65.3 on Lake Tawakoni

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by musky_D, Jan 3, 2010.

1. musky_D

musky_D New Member

State:
    Plano, TX
    I gotta say thank you to the BOC who've helped get me get better and fuel my passion for these whiskered critters. Beat my old PB by 20 lbs.

Looking to trade Bluecat trips and tips for Flathead trips and tips- still can't get them Flats on R&R.

Attached Files:

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Congrats Dee on the PB Bluecat! :big_smile: That is a hawg! :cool2:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    WELL done! Reps out!

Bill in SC

4. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Congrats on a big Tawak Blue.

5. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    looks like another deadun :eek:oooh:

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on the new PB Blue :cool2:.

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas

Im pretty sure he released the fish healthy- he had to go get it weighed on certified scales first though.

8. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    congrats on the PB!! now its time for that 150 pounder!!

9. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Congrats on that big blue. I am hoping to get to fish the Cabela's tournament down there next month. Maybe I can weigh in that fish:smile2:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats Dee on the new PB Blue. That is a Whopper.

11. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yeah man. Nice one.

12. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    Congratulations on the new PB!

13. musky_D

musky_D New Member

State:
    Plano, TX
    I take offense to your comment. It was longer than the lake record, so I had to take it off the water to be sure. It was still moving its gill plates and swam out of my hands after that photo. Catfish are tough critters- not like any other genus of fish. Catfish can breathe through their skin for a period of time as long as you keep it moist- adaptation to allow them to survive falling waters.

Don't judge. If someone wants to keep a legal fish, they have that right. All my colleagues wish I'd mounted it, but I watched it swim away since I'd like someone else to experience the thrill, and there are bigger ones in the lake.

A big thank you to all the BOC offering congrats. It truly was the thrill of a lifetime!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  14. musky_D

musky_D New Member

State:
    Plano, TX
    Thanks alot buddy! Now you have me wondering and wishing... :smile2:

15. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I see huge fish get taken out on ice in coolers all the time from Tawakoni. I am glad you turned her loose. Thank you for your decision. I have wondered many times what I would do if i got a huge fish that needed to see some certified scales. My boat is small so I dont have room for a giant cooler in it to carry a big fish in. I know you can keep them wet during the winter and they do OK, but I often wonder how much stress the fish goes through. Don't take me wrong, I am not downing your decision at all. Just doing a little thinking out loud. I do know that the all tackle lake record 86 pounder that was caught on trotline in April was taken back to the ramp and cut up. It almost started fights. But in the end the guys were within their legal limit to keep the fish. I am wondering if this slot limit deal works out if they will implement it on Tawakoni. Their is a group that juglines from Fredricksburg about 4 times a year. You know when they are on the lake because running through their jugs is like running a slalom course. They are quickly earning a bad name with the guides and Tawak regulars because every week that they come out they will keep well over 100 fish over 30 pounds. The slot limit would sure put a damper on them. Most of the guys that I know that fish the lake regularly have a knife ready for every jug that has a Fredricksburg address marked on it, legal or not. The guides and many of the Tawak regulars have taken to CPR fairly well. My rule of thumb is 15 pounds and under I eat(and I release most of these), 15 and over swim away. Sorry for the long post, just venting a little, I would hate to see such a wonderful fishery get ruined by some greedy people.

16. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great Blue!! Congrats!:cool2:

17. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Congrats on the big ol hawg and you get Kudos for the release, I wish more people would release 20lbs and up fish.

18. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    As much as I dislike Juglines, trotlines, limblines, etc etc I dont knock anyone's fishing nor do I cut lines, but 100 fish over 30LBs I would probably definetly f#%k those lines up on purpose. That is ridiculous for anyone to do something that stupid. they have to be selling those fish, no one eats that much fish and you said a couple days of that? The hell with being a model citizen

19. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    nice blue. congrats man!!

20. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Ramon, I dont normally knock anothers way of fishing either, but these folks are getting out of hand. Next time they are out there I will take pics. Tawakoni is a 38000 acre lake and when they are there a grasshopper could hop his way across it from jug to jug and never be in danger of getting eaten.