Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I registered to this forum years ago but haven't been here in a good while.
Home waters are the upper Chesapeake Bay and tributaries.
Typically I fish for bass, stripers, white and yellow perch, snakeheads, etc. when the season/weather is right plus whatever else will bite.
This past year and into the winter, 2020 - 2021, I started doing more catfishing catching channels and blues.
Biggest blues were 20lbs and they were respectable.
Last Saturday on the Susquehanna River in 60'+/- of 40 degree water using unscented chicken breast I caught my PB blue at 43lbs.
By myself it was interesting trying to net it.
At first when it hit I thought maybe it was tangled in something on the bottom because of how heavy it felt.
Taking my time I figured it wasn't in a snag but that it was something big, at least to me.
Going to be hard to top this one but Lord knows I will be trying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In another thread someone was talking about scales. I am considering buying this scale.
Put the scle on the deck of the boat and use a clothes basket or something with a firm bottom to lay the fish in to weigh them.
If necessary cut a hole in the basket bottom where the digital readout is located to be able to see it .
It will be easier (and better for the fish) than trying to hold it hanging from a scale.

ut a hole .

·
Registered
Dave from ohio
1,767 Posts
You will catch a bigger one in the future fishing the area you do. It took me years to catch one that size. I dont see why that scale wouldnt work, if you have the room for it and a basket in your boat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
In another thread someone was talking about scales. I am considering buying this scale.
Put the scle on the deck of the boat and use a clothes basket or something with a firm bottom to lay the fish in to weigh them.
If necessary cut a hole in the basket bottom where the digital readout is located to be able to see it .
It will be easier (and better for the fish) than trying to hold it hanging from a scale.

View attachment 323491 ut a hole .
Just hold the fish and step on the scales then later subtract your weight from the total. No basket is needed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just hold the fish and step on the scales then later subtract your weight from the total. No basket is needed.
That is what I did 30 years ago below Kentucky Dam with a 75lb Blue . Worked great , but I did not have a glove and took a while for the skin to grow back on the back of my left hand. Fish was fresh and wild , soaked both myself and girlfriend when I layed him back in the water.
Still to this day when I get cold the scar shows up .
Is it sick to want a matching scar on the other hand??? So far since then best I can do is 45lbs.
Good Luck and have fun whenever you can

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is what I did 30 years ago below Kentucky Dam with a 75lb Blue . Worked great , but I did not have a glove and took a while for the skin to grow back on the back of my left hand. Fish was fresh and wild , soaked both myself and girlfriend when I layed him back in the water.
Still to this day when I get cold the scar shows up .
Is it sick to want a matching scar on the other hand??? So far since then best I can do is 45lbs.
Good Luck and have fun whenever you can
I would trade a scar on my hand for a 75 lb blue and getting wet.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello again, Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.
I have been catching blues here and there on different baits.
One day I only had hot dogs so I used that and to my surprise I caught about a dozen in the couple of hours I was out. Biggest was 18.04. The 13.08 was super fat.

The weather was so nice on Thanksgiving day that I had to go out. I live close to the upper Chesapeake Bay, Gunpowder River so that's my go to all year except in the spring when I go to the Susquehanna River.
The fish were there and ready to bite. Caught a bunch 9lbs to 20+lbs.
A 30lber hit and I though that would be the big one of the day. More than satisfied to have boated it.
A little later I thought I had another 30 until it didn't want to fit in the net.
Got it aboard and I was shocked to fine it beat my Susquehanna PB by .05 ozs.
It was 43.05 !!!! I have read that they typically are not caught that big on the Gunpowder.
Anyway, thought I would share.

Vertebrate Food Fin Fish Fish products

Fin Fence Fish Snout Mesh

Food Fluid Liquid Adaptation Fish

Water Smile Vertebrate White Goggles

1 - 20 of 21 Posts