PayPal Scam Email

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by beeheck, May 16, 2006.

1. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Be careful out there I just got an email from "PayPal" that my account had been recently accessed by a third party and they were limiting my access for security reasons. Gave me a web address to go to and restore my access by signing into "PayPal". It looked like the PayPal web page but at the top in the address bar the address had nothing to do with PayPal. I closed every thing down and went to www.paypal.com and signed in, went to disputes, and I had no disputes current or old. I changed my password just in case and plan to change it again later tonight just for fun. But be careful if I hadn't looked at the address bar to see if PayPal was in the address I could of easily been fooled. Hey, they aren't getting a rookie at being fooled.... I can be fooled by most anything so they aren't too sharp for me to catch on. lol Don't give up your password with out YOU typing in the address you want to go to, don't ever follow a link and give out information. Hey, let's be careful out there!

2. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I'm not sure who you are getting your email through, but it is sad that they still allow phishing emails such as that to get through. When I used my Yahoo email account for PayPal I got several of those a week.

After switching to gmail, I have not gotten ANY phishing emails and only 4 pieces of spam in 6 months (I get several hundred pieces of Spam a day at my Yahoo account).

If you are interested in getting a gmail email account (or anyone else for that matter) send me an email address you have access to in a PM and I will send you a gmail invite, which is the only way other than a text message to get set up.

You just gave me a good idea to start a thread advertising such.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've had at least a couple of these so far this week. I use Mailwasher, so I can view them without d/l.

4. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I had the exact same email. I blasted E-bay because this is where the email said it came from. They told me it was a scam and that I needed to change my password

5. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I got the same thing today. Have received them 3 or 4 times. When I moused over the link I saw it wasn't paypal, so I bugged out.

6. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I am the IT guy for my church.
    Someone hacked into our server and put a ebay phishing program
    on there!
    Our server kicked us off thinking we (our church) was doing it on purpose.
    They accused me of writing php script that was not secure.
    I had not writen any php script or uploaded anything but simple web pages.
    Turns out that the trouble was on there end, they got hacked.
    They deleted the file and restored our account.
    Not before it sent out a lot of emails first all from my church.

7. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Its a shame such things have to happen like that. But I use GMAIL and I highly recommend it. Its alot better than Yahoo. Thanks for the post!

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Gmail puts a red caution label on all spoof mail and then sends it to the spam folder. I'm sure I have several in my spam folder right now.

9. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I've had one stating I had bought some phones for X amount of dollars and they wanted to verify my account. I forwarded it to spoof@paypal. Got a reply from them stating it was one of those phlishing things. Then this last week got 2 in the same day wanting to verify my account...all my numbers, passwords, etc. It got forwarded too. They (the phlishers) will try many different ways to get the information from your account. JUST BEWARE.

Paypal states they will address you by name and not by "Dear Paypal Member" and you can forward it on to them and if it is a legitimate letter they will acknowledge it as such.