Paylakes

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by bigkane, Jul 11, 2009.

1. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    You know I never realized that paylakes got their big fish from the local rivers and lakes(buying them).:angry: For some reason I thought they all came from a fish hatchery and grew until they were that big. I guess I was in the dark about it until I've done some reading here at the BOC. I think this is a crock of crap and should be outlawed in all states, makes me mad.

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The BOC is full of good info I didn't know any better myself before I joined .

3. dead-on

dead-on New Member

State:
    ky
    I am another that just didn't realise where the bif fish came from. This forum really opened my eyes.

4. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    Im not familar with pay lakes we dont have them in Ms we have catfish ponds where hatchery fish are grown and you pay for what you catch
    thanks for info

5. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Welcome to the boc guys .Theres alot of good fisherman that post here a person can learn alot:wink:

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
  7. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    first off welcome to the boc jermey--yes paylakes do pay people to go and fish the public river for the big flatties and blues :angry::angry::angry::angry: i know a spot where i fish and there is one of those scum lakes and the owner has come up to me and aksed me if i catch a big flatties would i sell to him i just laughed in face and said NO- that is why i feel limber lines and trout lines should be illeagal in all states

8. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    There u go again put all limb liners an trottline fishermen in to a group u don,t like ,the ones breaking the laws fine ,but there are a lot of members of the BOC that enjoy fishing them an cpr the big ones .

9. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    let me repharps yes there are illeagal limber line and trout line people out there that will sell the public fish to those scums lakes and i also know there are good people that limber and trout line what we do need is are fish protected and do something

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    personally i like to fish paylakes from time to time and for the tournies, but i didnt realize where they got the fish until a little bit ago. i DONT agree with them getting fish out of the local lakes and rivers. Because of this im undecided if i will continue to fish the paylakes in my area. I release and CPR all fish over 10 pounds.

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Please try to understand, all the alternative fishing methods Jimmy and I get to see around here are used for poaching... I have NEVER seen it done legally... not ever. Here "my" river's not packed with an endless suppy of fish... limbliners, (mostly) fish river holes completely void of flatheads by mid August... and they stay that way til heavy spring floods come around but Trophys just stay gone.. They're also sold to local paylakes here-the one Jimmy is talking about is right beside the public boat ramp I use. I know that enforcement here don't care for flatheads... and really, it's pretty much like that everywhere. It's no big ol secret that fishery biologist hate flatheads. And sure, they might make laws just to humor us, but ignore enforcing them. They allow alterative fisherman to do what they please. But I am LEARNING not to stereo type alternative fisherman, and some are even my friends on the BOC- and hope others will be one day.
    However, Commercial fisherman are a different story... You will never see one of those guys on my friends list, and I will hate that practice to my grave. I truely believe that with Commercial fishing outlawed it would greatly impove the fishery more than any other change of law no matter what speicies of catfish is your favorite. THIS is where ALL the focus needs to be... right now-and until C C F is outlawed.
    Selling fish to paylakes is already outlawed, it just needs to be inforced which can be an easier task to acheive.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  12. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I too liked to fish paylakes until I heard of this commercial fishing junk. My wife had a good idea. Go into some pay lakes and catch 'em, sneak 'em out if you can and put them back into our sport fishing lakes and rivers. Probably wouldn't work just for the fact that they're usually packed with people. I know that the paylakes I've fished won't let you keep anything over 10lbs... wonder why.... cause they probably bought 'em from these fish rapers.

13. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I share your frustration, but what you are suggesting is against the law in Kentucky. One is not allowed to transport fish from one body of water to another. It is a good way to introduce disease and possibly a species that is not native to a particular drainage.

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That don't include public to private water such as a pay pond. But hey, KY commercial fisherman are bringing TONS of huge flatties and blues down here to Indiana ponds....

15. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    First off i would like to THANK ,JIMMY an BILL for stepping up an rephrasing what they meant. I also have no use what so ever ;for a thief, and that is what you are against, so am i. As i have posted on here before i enjoy setting limb lines an i,m going to try a trot line this winter,also want to try jug fishing . I release most fish we catch unless we want to have a fish fry,i did it saltwater fishing an now i carried it over to freshwater fishing.
    I hope the alternative methods stay legal ,i just wish wildlife comm. would start enforcing the laws we already have [ tagging line an jugs ]and convicting the ones breaking the laws . Whether line lines an such or legal or not the outlaws r still going to rob our waters for their personal gain,by one means or another .Like the bumper sticker says [OUT LAW GUNS AN ONLY THE OUTLAWS WILL HAVE THEM] same with limb line an trott lines . Why punish the ones that use them legally to try an stop the OUTLAWS THAT WILL JUST HIDE THEM BETTER ,and keep on stealing fish.

THIS IS MY OPINION, AN MY OPINION ONLY ,for the members that agree with me ,thank you .for the members that don,t ,i'm sorry ,but as i said this is MY OPINION ONLY

16. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K

I probably would never had tried it anyway. It just kinda makes you wanna get revenge someway. Plus it would be my luck to try and do it and get caught, while the fish sellers would pass me by and honk on their way to the pay ponds:smile2:

17. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ok every one will hate me after this one but its my opinion ( RIGHT)

I see it as people not minding their own. do you realy think your personal fishing will improve if some one else does not fish or keeps less. has anyone looked at the ups as far as a fish getting a life to live and most of the time in cleaner water were even if cought has to be released insted of comeing out of the river by one of us and goes to the dinner table. you dont hear much complaints about power plants filling the air with poution why because we all like to turn on a light at night. untill the bioligiest say with much resurch that they do a fish is endanger of low population (wich they will do if it ever gets that way) whom is to say whats right and wrong. a lot of us on here have no problem throughing a gar or carp or drum up on the banks to die or killing and tossing back in the waters what makes that ok. I like catching the big gun as much as the next and there are plenty out there. I am not a cemercial fisherman nor do I want to be one. but when I go to the river to fish I do like to keep a fish now and then and on that day I do deside I'm keeping fish I keep what ever I catch no matter what size. big eats just as good as the small ones in my book. and for some of you that dont think so you need to clean your fish proper and you will never know if it was a big fish or not and I know that from haveing enough fish fries with people never knowing or able to tell any kind of a difference. I would be willing to say I belive more fish leave are waters every day by a total of indeviduals than cermercial fisherman ever thought about taking ( could be wrong but I live at a lake and real close to the river and see a cemercail fisherman every now and then and see people like us or me anyways fishing all day long with stringers of fish every day.

18. Scott7m

Scott7m New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i think the commercial fishing has gone to far... now as far as someone catching a few flats or something on a limb line and selling them, to me thats a lot different than a commercial fishermen setting out huge nets like they do on the ohio and filling it up with huge flatties.

i found a net in the brush on the ohio once, hugehuge hoop net, had probably 35-45 BIG flatties in it. of course they were all dead. it had got washed out in a raise and left hanging in the brush.

i enjoy fishing paylakes and i guess you could say i'm part of the problem since i'm spending my money there, but i can't go through life worrying about every single thing thats wrong in the world. there should be laws in ky and such preventing such a practice, or at least putting more restrictions on it. then in turn getting someone to police those laws would be a totally different subject

19. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Them hoop nets catch all types of fish when set they do not discriminate, they catch all fish that swim.

Not all pay lakes buy big fish,,I've fished at 2 no 3 different lakes in the past 35yrs and to my knowledge only one has ever stocked big fish from any commercial fishermen.Thats been only once that I know of.

But the others were around since we were kids at 3 fishing with our dads for bass ,bluegills,cats etc..some were sportsman clubs at one time or another and were loaded with trophy fish from years gone by and the Big Fish Genes still swim in them waters.:big_smile: Back then we would pay a couple bucks and fish all day and keep everything. Now you spend 10-15 and keep a limit of 15 fish or no limit at one of them,,and they are stocked weekly ( farm raised catfish up to 1 1/2-15#) from a fisheries out of Alabama and Georgia.

? for ya.What do you guys think them fisheries do with all the Hogs that they have on the farm, let-em die of old age? Does anyone have any info on this? just a thought. surly after 20 yrs of feeding them babies, they surly have a few lakes full of 40-60#+ fish they keep for breeding stock.

I for one would love the chance to sit on that bank for a day:smile2:

Fish Hard! Have Fun! Be Safe!.:wink:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  20. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH

not trying to depress you but a lot of the paylakes here in ohio pound your lakes and rivers for flatties.