Paylakes (Keep it General)(Would Like Opinions)

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by motodragon2003, Jul 14, 2008.

1. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Before I go any further I would like everyone to please keep this a polite post and keep it general. I don't want to have it removed because of naming of this lake or that one.

I have read quite a few post about people stating that its ruining fishing and what not so I have to ask (mainly because I would personally love to run one, and not for the money....because I love catching fish)

I don't understand why all the ruckus about them. If they stock their lake weekly from fish farms...what exactly is the problem with them?

Granted I know in extreme cases there are places that do things illegally but I'm asking that you eliminate those establishments in the discussion and focus on the principles behind the pay lake idea.

I personally would love to run one. I would stock it weekly and I would certainly have to have an area for jumbo cats that I caught myself or even raised myself over the years....

I belive that if I was to open up an establishment...all the gambling and pools and what not wouldn't be there. I think that it should be about fishing and family...PERIOD.

If I had a few ponds and plenty of campground....I think it would be great to see the excitement people get when they hook into a big one....and imagine being able to see that all the time....

I've been thinking about this for a few years now and I think I finally have my wife's approval to do something like this once we retire.....but....after reading all the negative feedback on here...I have to hesitate.

I wonder, If I ran a place just as I said......would I become the enemy too??

Oddly enough its very similar to the Dark Side of the Force............

So to the purpose of this post......

What are your likes and/or dislikes about Pay Lakes....and would you alienate myself...if I were to run a Legit one. One without the gambling and one without buying fish from rivers.

AND PLEASE KEEP IT CLEAN.

Thanks all.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    paylakes stocked with farm raised or self caught fish. no. i wouldnt object at all. in fact theres one here i got to with a campground once in a blue moon to take the kids on a mowed privet area wheres the wife and such dont need a fishing liscense.

i think most are against the fish coming from public waters.

i also belong to a sportsmans club here in il. i pay a $60 yearly fee. its got a pond stocked with fish. a shooting range. and i can camp every friday and sat for zip. no camping fee. and with this states crooked polotitions stealing us blind camping fees here are $20 a night. so ill camp at the club. i believe they get them from the river. but its legaly from a commercial fisherman. not positive they from public waters. and really dont care. theyve been around a long time and when its stocked the paper always has an article on it with pictures so im sure its all legal.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    All the negative feed back you hear is because many of them dont stock there ponds from farm raised fish, they buy them from commerical fishermen and others that are taken from the rivers and lakes.

I dont know if you can buy giant farm raised fish, imagine you can but they probably wouldnt be cost effective so there is why most of these places turn to the commerical guys. Stocking them with giant fish you have caught kind of is doing the same thing isnt it if your having people fish for them.

Good luck with your endeavor. It sounds like you would run a quality operation.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    The other replies have already touched on it, the beef is with the paylakes who rape the public waterways by running nets and taking many big fish, 50-100lbs out of the waters.

Stocking with farm raised fish is fine. You're getting into a gray area though with catching fish somewhere else and bringing them to your paylake. It's pretty much the same thing with what those shady operations are doing, IMO.

And you say you won't take the big fish from the public waters, but you're now in a catch 22. Because you now don't have any monster fish in your paylake, how do you compete with the paylake a county over that advertises the chance at a 90lb blue or 60lb flathead? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

5. motodragon2003

State:
    Indiana
    Right, I was thinking in the terms of my wife and I running something like this at retirement. Which would mean building it and stocking it regularly now so when the time comes...there would be quality fish already in there....and then yes adding fish to it that I personally caught wherever....

Yeah, that is gray area because it is essentially doing the same thing however....I think that if its something I did rather than paid someone, it should be ok.

Granted I wouldn't be able to compete with the guys that break the rules. But I wouldn't want to. Like I was saying, this would be for retirement purposes...not really something we would have to have to live off.

6. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Are there any in Mo. or Ks.?

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    In general and to the point:
    I pay a fee to the state for a license to fish, which in part funds programs for stocking, upkeep, and conservation. As far as I know, paylakes do not require a state fishing license and do not contribute to the state DNR.
    Farm raised paylake fish, be able to prove it and maybe, but I doubt it.
    Non farm raised paylake fish, or no proof, no way, no
    thank you.

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    You would have to have quite a big place for monster cats to be able to survive, but not put too many in there either!! I don't think you could do it with just a couple acres either. You are probably gonna need to get several, i dont know how many, but I think it's per lb per acre type of equation if i remember right.. Now the feeders should do ok as long as you have aeration & stock them regularly & feed them good....JMO

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    If thats the case and with that attitude you should do just fine by stocking farm raised catfish. These fish will grow to get big with proper management and time. Be careful not to over-stock your lakes, this will slow down the growth rate of your fish

Where did you read this? From what I have read, there is no problem with using farm raised catfish in paylakes.

Why not open a campground with few rental cabins and fishing ponds as a added bonus. Or maybe even a local sportsmens club

Only if money and greed allows you to use natural resources to profit. You will be a hero to some, and a zero to others.

I personally dont care to fish paylakes, but have no problem with those that do. They are only paying for a resource provided to them locally. However I do disagree with those that take or pay for trophy fish taken from public rivers,lakes and creeks to make a profit.

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Click and read my signature please. It pretty much sums it up.

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I don't have any particular problem with Paylakes. I have never fished one, but I can say that I know many people who have and they seem to enjoy it.

I say LIVE YOUR DREAM AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE,

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sorry double post

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I
    Other than this part, I have no problem with what you want to accomplish!!!
    What you said would make you no better than the other river rapers IMO!!!

14. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I think what you are talking about sounds like a great time. I have thought about it my self. I like the idea mentioned above about having cabins and campgrounds and the lake maybe not being the whole focus of the thing. I can see where some of these people are coming from but honestly if you are starting out ahead of time raising the fish I don't see why you can't make it. If you don't want to get fish from anywhere but a farm then you can probably shift the focus of the thing to the cabins and the lakes instead of catching trophy fish. As long as you aren't right next door to another pay lake then I don't think the competition will be a problem.There are alot more family type people that would rather catch a nice stringer full of small catfish than camp out all night waiting for one biggo fish and that should be the target audience.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    not all paylakes need to have 100lb ers. i sure never heard of that lol.

just being able to camp and catch some eaters make most fols happy. i know if done just that at the local state lake here. if i camp the weekend and come home with 4-5 fish its a good weekend. :wink:

and as far as i know in illinois if you personally catch a fish you can put it in your waters on your land. and its your fish. so weather you eat it or let someone else catch it thats your buisness.

16. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i think it would be a great idea to start your own paylake...but your probly not going to be very sucsesful if your not running sum kind of tournys.as for stocking it every week thats way to much dude i would say 2-4 maximum per year.and all these people that talk about raping the public waters of trophy fish,well i can see were there coming from but people are going to do it regardless of some rescue organization that a few guys put together think.and some people would just rather fish paylake's than rivers for a few reasons,like all the drunks you see at the river,all the trash laying around,and they just like the compitition.i am a die hard paylaker moslty for carp and and sumtimes catfish,but i still love it.and lets face it most of the guys at the nc paylakes treat trophy fish better than most people do that catch them in the rivers.and what i dont get is that just about every one that gripes about paylakes have never even fished one. i may have some people look down on me for this post but so be it,i did mean to offend any one,just speaking the truth.

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I say do it and enjoy your retirement with it! Just don't be tempted to cross over to the "dark side" anyway
    farm raised cats are enough,, stock it to the brim with channels... stock the crapola out of it with farm raised 1,2 and 3 pounders you won't be able to beat people off with a stick. want big fish in there? paylake goin folks seem to love big carp.... catch all of those you want I say:wink:
    your not going to get big fish from the hatchery.... nope.... I DID buy some blue cats that weighed up to 5 pounds for my pond that where farm raised,, but that was luck... he had them in a back pond for years that he had forgotten about.

also, if you DON'T put big flatheads in there (and I've NEVER seen farm raised ones anyway), you'll be able to stock fingerling bait stealing channels every year and grow them to fun catching size for your customers in no time flat and it's cheaper then the bigger ones = more profit.:wink:
    You might could also put trout in there during late fall,winter and early spring to keep your pond open longer... I see you live in my state so I especially don't want to see ya catchin' trophy cats for your pay pond,,,
    but like I said, you wouldnt need them anyway.

18. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It is fine to have a farm-raised catfish paylake . If you put some bigger ones in there you caught that is fine as well . Pond acreage is a consideration . This I will say and take it to heart . The more people that come the more fish you have to put in it PERIOD . I am turned off by the ones I used to fish because they didn't keep stocking it and charged 12.00 a visit . Rumor was they couldn't find fish for sale BS.:angry: Tag a few cats for free fishing days or put some albinos or mottled fish in there. Another day to fish for free is plenty of incentive

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, sure is a lot of opinion out there. Seems like if you catch a 90 pounder, and fillet the darn thing, that's okay with some and against the CPR principles. So, you catch the same 90 pounder and put it in a private lake, then charge people to fish for it. Darn, that's wrong too. Guess we the mass needs to do is just plain quit fishing so only select people can catch fish... naw, that's giving in. You are only responsible for yourself. If you want to run a pay lake, then do it. If you have to buy from commercial fishermen, do it if it's legal. Heck, they have to make a living also. The thing is, those people against pay lakes are not gonna fish in your lake, while those who support them would be happy to do so. But, why do you have to have TROPHY fish? Seems as though the only reason would be so you could charge an arm an a leg for someone to catch it. Maybe you could have all your customers practice CPR on all fish over a certain limit in exchange for 3 free fishing days. Do your thing, and let those who will rant and rave. They are going to anyhow.

And check with your department of wildlife. I believe Oklahoma's regs state the only ones who don't have to have a license are the immediate family of the person owning the land or persons under age 16. No exceptions for people fishing pay lakes. Don't think any state would want to loose that much in cash. LOL

20. motodragon2003

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks all for being honest and open. I just was trying to see what the general consesus was. I wasn't interested in opening some gambling pit or anything. I was thinking of a more family oriented type of place.