Paylakes destroying Trophy Catfishing.......

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KC Jayhawk 78, Apr 6, 2009.

1. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    If you havent seen and signed this, please do. Ever wonder why 100+lb. trophy cats were common in the late 1800's and early 1900's , but they are seldom caught now? I just signed this, and Im kinda mad at myself that I didnt see this before. Heck its been on the BOC for over a year now, and I never knew it was there. It was under "All Catfishing" on the main page.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68937

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS

3. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Me and My Girlfriend just sihned it.Im going to have a couple of my fishing buddies sign it too.I hope it helps.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't see anything wrong with the idea of the owner of a privately owned lake or pond charging to fish in it. But if he wants trophy sized fish in it, he should have to grow them there himself, NOT buy them from public waters. Make all three major species of catfish gamefish, and make it illegal to sell gamefish. Actually, most states probably have laws against selling gamefish on their books already. Just think of the furor that would be raised if trophy bass were caught in the wild and sold to paylakes.

5. LinesIN

LinesIN New Member

State:
    KS
    I may be a bit naive, but isn't the other problem with fisheries the over use?

I don't know much about running set lines, but if you run lines in a public fishery with a "x" number of hooks, but the limit for that body of water is 2 or 5 fish, how is that regulated?

And with the jug fishing test pilot for some lakes in KS, how is that monitored, or can it be?

I disagree with catching fish in Public waters with the intent to make a profit. Why is it any different for fish than wild game? You can't sell meat from animals harvested during hunting seasons, should be the same for fish. :confused2:

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Yes it is, in some areas more than others.

KDWP tickets anyone they catch violating the hook or harvest limit? :tounge_out: Sorry for the flip comment, but the truth is I'm not sure I understand correctly what you are asking.

Supposedly by requiring the float line permit, KDWP has a database of anglers that they can survey. Per KDWP, the intent of the trial program is to increase utilization of channel cats.

It actually is illegal to sell fish caught under a sport fishing license in Missouri and Kansas. As far as I know, there are no paylakes in Kansas or it's surrounding states that offer trophy catfish. And as far as I know, there is no commercial harvest of catfish from public waters in Kansas.

The paylakes in question are mostly in Indiana, Ohio, and maybe a couple of other eastern states, and their catfish mostly come from points east of here. But we are affected, for example commercial harvest on the Mississippi pulls in fish that migrate up the Missouri and Kansas Rivers in the spring and summer. And there may be illegal harvest of Kansas fish that we don't know about. If not, it could happen in the future as it gets harder for them to operate in eastern waters.

Good questions!

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Hell Kyle, encourage him to have ANOTHER beer and let him sign it again:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::wink::smile2:

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yeah I noticed that later on. :smile2: I was tired and saw this and got pissed off. Oh well its for a good cause. Isnt that what Im supposed to say. :smile2: My next question is to all the Kansas Fellas, who knows of paylakes in Kansas doing this?:angry:

9. dennis boehm

dennis boehm Member

State:
    olathe kan
    the petition is for a good cause, and like gary said there are no pay lakes around here that I know off . Keith there were alot of bigger fish around 100 years ago but alot of fishing pressure and dams havent helped either. also there there is alot of post post on here with big fish that are killed, last week two 95s posted that were killed, rod and reel fishermen can be blamed also, just my opion

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I must have missed that. Where can I find that? or do you have a link? Thanks Dennis.

11. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    We just need to spread the word and hope for the best.
    Thats all we can do really. Until its the law, everyone has the right to keep em.
    I dont think we will have to worry about people takin big fish to stock in paylakes here but we do have people who take alot of big ones for their own private ponds. Not against the law, but imo its not right.:sad2:

We went fishin on my aunt's farm pond one time when I was a kid. We caught a few small channels. Thats all that was in there.
    Stupid witch charged us for them.:smile2::eek:oooh:
    What in the hell Bobby?:crazy:
    That was the first time and the last time I ever went to a PayLake.:smile2:
    We didnt even know it was a PayLake.:tounge_out:

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Had something like that happen to me when I was young Kyle.Went with some friends just south/west of Topeka to a watershed lake.

Caught a few cat/bass/gills got back to the barn and they totaled them up and charged them for the fish we caught.:sad2:

And this watershed was built by the state under its flood control program.

And I would guess the fish in it to was bought by the state.This was yrs ago but I know it still goes on.

13. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I agree on the fishing pressure and dams hurting big catfish size. You also need to factor in water pollution and commercial fishing. The ban of commercial fishing on the Missouri river in 1992 has significantly helped the blue cat populations. If we could get the corps to leave the wing dams alone that would help too!!!!

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Dennis, you can't even imagine what a GREAT Bluecat trophy fishery Milford Lake would be by now, if they'd have put a limit on the number of trophy sized Blues that could be kept per day. In the last 5-6 years the catch of these trophys has diminished significantly (realized in personal catches) due to keeping these bigger Blues, 15 to 40 lbs, on one particular occasion,(at the Wakefield boatramp) I seen two guy's in a flatbottom come in, no poles, with two limits of Blues (20) the smallest one I seen in the boat was at least 15#, the largest I'd estimate at over 30#'s, I've caught enough to know. This was about 5 years ago. It wasn't a weekend, so how many Blues did these guy's pull in on their, trot, bank lines or what ever they were using every day?:sad2:
    I've also seen to many big Blues kept by guy's fishing with rod and reel kept in one outing.

15. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jim,
    Unfortunately that is the case with so many of our fisheries. People take advantage of it. They need to set a slot limit on Milford and only allow 1 or 2 over a certain size. Problem is trying to convince the KDWP that its a good eye. Some of the best channel cat lakes for big fish in Kansas have a 2 creel limit. Their too worried about stalking wipers and charging people $5 to use a third rod or $2.50 to jug line.

16. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Geoff, I was told by our "local expert", Milford didn't need anything like that, the lake could support that kind of pressure. It ain't much, but at least they lowered the limit to 5, regardless of size, so it will help a little bit, "if it's enforced", which is questionable too.:sad2:

17. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
  18. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Opps was making my post when you posted the same thing. LOL The slot limit is what is needed. People can take 10 or 20 smaller fish just let the big ones go.

19. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    That's just not apt to happen around here Geoff, "if I don't keep it, some one else will", that's the normal attitude of to many who Catfish this lake regularly.:sad2:

20. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That's the way it is here in Eudora. You have these guys that run lines up and down the wakarusa and they keep everything they catch. Kill it, cut it up and stick the head on a fence post for me to look at.:eek:oooh: With all the pesticides their eating you'd think they wouldn't be around much longer! LOL :tounge_out::cool2: