Paylake Support Group

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    There are a few of us that are on this sight that used to or are trying to stop fishing paylakes. The first time I ever catfished was at a paylake and until here recently was a HUGE FAN of them. However after discussing it on this sight with quite a few people i found that paylakes are a devastating factor to the fishing in and around my area. So I am currently not fishing paylakes anymore. However like most addicts it is hard to not go back. So basically I propose that we start a PAYLAKE SUPPORT GROUP, to help keep each other from rolling over and falling off the wagon.

2. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    good luck buddy, i think the only support that will help is hooking in to a nice cat in the wild, i have fished a pay puddle, with my wife and kids when they were smaller, but i never got in to them, so its not hard at all for me to stay away from them, good luck to you brother:wink:

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You are kidding right? Atleast I hope so.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    it's just something fun i thought would spark conversation....i did used to fish them but i'm done with them now...

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The best Paylake Support Group is the river. Once you see how many more fish you catch and how much harder they fight it is very hard to go back to a paylake, or any lake for that matter.

6. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    just hit the river and hook into a flattie or blue :wink: plus when you fish rivers you do not know what is on the hooked until you get to boat or bank trust you will lose faith from those scum lakes

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jeremy
    Imagine a scenario where catfish are used auto parts and pay lakes are used auto parts stores.
    In the past you got your used auto parts from said used auto parts stores and thought nothing of it.
    Then, you find out that your used auto parts store is actually a chop shop that sells parts from cars stolen from your BOC brothers and sisters.

Pay lakes are "selling" stolen fish just like chop shops that sell stolen car parts.

What are you going to do, keep those chop shops in the business of selling stuff stolen from from us? If you are helping them then you are in effect stealing from us and I think you know how the members of this board feel about thieves and thieving.

I know that is a crazy analogy but it may help you not slip back into the wicked ways :wink: you left behind...W

8. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Dang some people round here have the sense of humor of a rock:eek:oooh: Guy was just trying to lend a little humor to a hot topic jeeze :roll_eyes:

9. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    What if a paylake doesn't buy fish caught in public waters? What if they stock fish bought from hatcheries or just stock it and let it be self sufficient?

I don't think buying fish caught in public waters is right, but I have no problems with paylakes if they don't do this. In fact, I think paylakes are great for those trying to get young ones into the sport and want to take them somewhere where they are likely to have a good time. I also think they're great for those who aren't physically able to do much fishing and only get out once or twice a year.

I wouldn't go to one since I catch all the fish I want from rivers and lakes, but I personally don't have a problem with paylakes as long as they don't buy fish caught in public water. I don't know if there are many of them out there, but I'm sure there's some somewhere.

And if you're catching "trophy" fish from a paylake, can you really call it a trophy? IMO, that's worse than shooting deer in a pen. That's what I don't understand about the popularity of paylakes. Sure going to catch a mess for the fryer, but how can you consider anything caught out of there a trophy?

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I agree. Let the poor guy start a support group. geez!:smile2:

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Tom,
    I totally agree with you and I have nothing against the idea of a pay lake. My, and I think most guys, problem with them is that they don't buy pond raised fish. If they did I don't think anyone would mind them...W

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    As long as these type of threads keep popping up, people are going to chime in and speak their mind. Its the nature of the beast. :smile2:

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'd much rather see a drunken country boy can survive support group.
    That is a classic I'll never forget as long as I live.
    I was running the camera:wink:

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The wolfman in rare form...better cherish that moment Mark. It'll never happen again. lol:smile2:

15. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    ID like to see the video so i can be in on the joke....

16. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

:eek:oooh::crazy: :0a10::0a10:

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Paul wouldn't dare release that footage. His drunk ass was right there with you:smile2:

Even drunk I got some sense. Sense enough to be behind the camera:smile2:

That was an all time redneck tribute though. I'd drive another 1500 miles to see it even if I had to lay in traction for a week afterwards.

I had a great time. Good memories from that trip. Thanks Paul.

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Never happen my friend. I never got a copy and I requested.
    Knowing Paul, it's in a safety deposit box and the key thrown off a bridge.

My only suggestion. Don't miss a National gathering.
    Get 6 hours of sleep in 3 days and take 150 bucks worth of Germany's finest monk beer with you.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I think the most sleep I had was when I went fishing that one night.
    Being the first mate I was the cast net thrower. I had to take a nap after that. I couldn't tell you if I fished or not but what I can tell you is I woke up as we were coming into the marina about 4am and I was thinking damn, I've never been so gld to see a dock and the motor quit. Out of gas. Good breeze blew us backwards all the way to the bridge. You don't know how close I came to jumping ship right there and swimming that last 50 yards. I almost needed a kleenex as I watched the marina slip farther and farther away.
    And man it was cold. Shorts and t-shirt. I forgot I wasn't in the south anymore.

The captain managed to rouse somebody on a bublebum machine radio that was awake back at camp to pick me up on the highway. Went through the campground scoping out gas tanks in boats for a tank we could "borrow" long enough to get to the marina.

Found some other BOC hoodlums still awake in a drunken stupor that let us borrow one on the up and up. Back to the boat and a ride to the marina.

Good thing, none of us got shot borrowing a tank. I don't know what would have been worse. Getting shot or waking someone up to ask for some gas.
    I knew one thing. I wont knocking on no doors down at the bottom of the hill.
    No sir, I would have Daniel Booned it with a pine bough first.

I needed a vacation when I got my butt back to NC. Getting too old to hang with some of these BOC members.
    Next time I'll probally camp with the old folks club down at the bottom of the hill and stay out of trouble.

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Speaking of filming and christ.
    We had a BOC gospel quartet going way up into the wee hours of the morning. Like 4Am in the morning.
    Singing the gospel with a cold one in hand.

The rednecks conventioned for sure. Rednecks from all over the country.
    Unbelievable. They rolled down every hill from an ant hill to a hill of beans and convened in one spot for 3 days.

I bet we showed up that coon hunting convention that stays there every year.