Paying My Dues

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Blade4130, May 24, 2009.

1. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    I have fished the Missouri the past three nights straight. All I got to show for it is just a ton of mosquitoe and chigger bites. Damn those things just didn't care if you had "OFF" on you tonight. <lol> I think it only ticked them off:roll_eyes:

"First night" fresh shad, live bluegill and worms...nothin!

"Second night" same bait as above, different spot and still nothin! <lol> buy hey a older man came down and fished with me. He caught four nice little blues and one big one going around 40. He let that one go back to the water so horray for him:big_smile: Still, not even one little nibble for me that night.

"Tonight" I got my first nibble and fish. Darn the luck! only a small drum. I thought I might as well try cutting him up for bait since nothing else is working for me. Each time I have had primo fresh shad and gills. Nothing on the drum as well. However, the people below from me caught a nice flat in the upper 20's and the people up from me caught another nice flat around the same size. I put every line out with live gills and hoping I would get one and nope! Even the people below me left I went straight to that spot and it didn't work:embarassed:

I have a full proof plan made out. Tomorrow night if somebody is fishing in the vacinity of me. I will wait until all their poles are out. Go up and talk to them. Then I will wait for the right time to let out a super stinky microwave Casy's beef and bean burrito fart and knock them out. hog tie um up and fish with their poles....Ah ha!!!:tounge_out:

Naaa, I wouldn't do that. My time will come soon for sure:big_smile:

2. 1jimbeam

1jimbeam New Member

State:
    missourii
    been there done that. i find the best way to get rid of all the bugs is simply bring a friend with u. they will seem to get him or her more then u lol

3. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    You reckon them farts would get rid of them gnats. They bout drove me the rest of the way insane the last two days. I think the cutters and deepwoods off made them hungry. They actually seemed to get worse. I even tried the dryer sheets. Anyone know if its the high water or what has got them so riled up this year. Even more important does anyone have a solution to them other than staying home

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    Don when i fished the banks of the missouri river i had the best luck on live perch ,small carp and gold fish
    and did the best at creek mouths and up into the creeks where i found logs it only takes 1 good log to hold a fish or 2 caught many channels and flatheads . and 1 blue over 40 lbs

i didnt have much success off the banks fishin in the main channel , the creeks might help ya if ya have any close to ya ya can get to .

my buddy knew alot of farmers that gave us key to many gates so we could drive closer to them .

lol our best tool was carring a wead eater in the truck to clear out the weeds and brush at a good spot :wink:

just trying to help ,, good luck

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
  6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That ol river can be a bear. Shes fallen hard. Fri Night Me and Seth got just a blue about 15lbs hook popped out before we could net it. And a lota short bites. Sat night Me and TheMadCatter got 5 fish, 4 2lb blues and a channel cat on creek minners. The perch we had out kept geting ripped off by the small fish sat night. When the waters up try fishen below the islands, in the creek mouths, or the chutes in behind the islands. I will shure be glad when the rock pokes out and puts the fish back in their holes lol. Seems like there is still to much water. But thats fishen MO. That ol river can be hard to get a fish out of somtimes.

7. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
  8. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    lol.....fisherman are resorting to chemical warfare to catch fish. very disturbing times we live in.

9. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Thanks for the help catfish scotty. Can't wait to find the new missouri conservation mag with you and spoonfish in it. Man, back before 1993 I could go a zillion places along the river. Back then however I wasn't fishing the river for blues and flats. Girls and partying near levies was on my mind. I think I am going to take a day or two soon and go to some of these farmers around my hometown of Richmond, hardin and Orrick area and see if I can get permission to get to the river on their land.

My luck on the river will change soon. Right now the river gods are making me put my time in on the river and sending every nasty little bug to keep me from fishing the river. Not going to work and you can't keep me away <lol>. I still enjoy each night out fishing and though I have struck out the past three nights. There was certainly something to be learned each time out.

10. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I feel your pain..Sounds like my story..Bugs n all..Just some 2 cents,but them damn chinese carp are taken over the Mississippi..It's a conspiracy I tell ya..

Btw..I have tried the stinky fart method..heh..Doesn't work..Mine killed the greenery next to me..But them gnats..They come heavily armored..

11. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Ah haaaa:big_smile: fourth night was so much better. There was enough wind to keep the mosquito's at bay and I was catching. Nothing big at all mind you, but I did make two firsts tonight. My first flat and blue for the year and the first night ever catching all three species. So my own personal grand slam:big_smile: I had a big six to seven inch blue gill. I think it was one of those hybrids that people put in ponds as that is where it came from. It had a huge orange belly on it. When that thing took off I thought for sure I was going to get my first huge flat. <lol> nope, only a four or five pounder. Still, it was a fish dog gonnit <lol>. The biggest blue was around eight pounds and all other blues and many channels were little two and three pounders.

All fish was caught on the up side of a wing dike. Most were in the ripple on the cut side of the dike near the bank. That flat came from a little log jam in the cut. I was wondering in a situation like that where I am steadily catching small fish. Are the bigger fish going to be on the back side of the dike? I was going to try the back, but after three nights straight of nothing. I was happy and content on where I was at:cool2:

12. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

Good job, like they say try and try again:roll_eyes:

13. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    congrats on the grand slam thats neat for sure way to go !!!!:big_smile::big_smile:
    anytime ya catch a flatty its rewarding no matter what size good job DON !!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Darkangler

Darkangler New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My fiance cought 2 carp 1 15 pounds the other 17 pounds kept them because I know my grandma loves carp and I cought a 12 pound Flathead all in all not a bad past 3 nights I guess..:smile2: Probley going back out tomorrow morning :big_smile:

15. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Welcome DarkAngler to the BOC. I hope you do real well tomorrow night and wish you all the luck:big_smile: Flats are awesome no matter what the size Scott. My big flathead picture will come soon enough:big_smile: Just got to learn to read the river at different water levels as I can do in lakes and that will come in time.

16. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri

I agree with Scott any flathead is prize. And will always amaze me when a 4 pound flathead eats a 6 inch Blue Gill, and hits it like he means it!!!

17. Double L

Double L New Member

State:
    Mo
    congrats on the grand slam.