Payback Catfish!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by rsimms, Dec 10, 2006.

1. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, I had to go back out on Chickamauga Saturday afternoon and try to get some payback on the big cats I bumfuzzled Saturday due to a busted reel (and only had one catfish rod with me at the time... crappie was primary target).
    I got my payback however!
    Caught six baits (bluegill) off a deep bluff real quick, cut one and started drifting. The fish were finicky. I missed three good bites real quick. I finally stuck #4... tough fight... a 16 lb. flathead. Only the 6th flathead I've caught this year. Missed another fish and then tagged a 10 lb. blue.
    Then next drift I got hung... or at least thought I was hung... until the rock started swimming away. Oh man! I'd just lit a cigarette and on his first run I thought I was gonna swallow it. It took a couple of minutes before I could get a few cranks to get him (or her) off the bottom. Then it was a vertical tug-of-war ... he (or she) would gain some rope, and then I'd gain some. All I could think of was "payback" for evening before.
    44 lbs. in the bottom of the boat was sweet revenge. emoBigsmile
    He (or she) was 44-inches to the tip of tail, 42-inches to the fork, 30-inch girth.
    All total I had eight good bites and only stuck three of 'em... not a good hook ratio, but the big guy (or girl) made it worth it.

2. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Nice fish wish I could see a pic of him/her!

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    sounds like some good fishin! post some pictures if you have em please.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Way to go Richard. I had the opportunity to conduct some business over your way sat and when I crossed the dam I would have made a bet you were on the water. :smile2:

5. onemorecast

onemorecast New Member

State:
    Moore, Oklahoma
    great fish, wish i could hook a pig like that.

6. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    excellent fish, any pics? how deep where you drifting?

7. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    Cangrats,,, u never said what it was, but i bet it was a flathead from the way u explained the fight

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sounds like a time and fight, congrats

9. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Jay I was thinking the same thing, it acted like a flathead but Richard said it had a forked tail so I don't know if it was a blue or flathead. Maybe Richard will let us know.

What ever it was, way ta go Richard, that had to be a lot of fun.

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    way to go on the pay backs!!

11. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Way To Go Richard.I'm Glad Some of the Brothers and sisters are not all frozen in. J.D.

12. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It was a blue cat... sorry, that's the majority of what we catch and I just take it for granted. As noted in post, the 16 pound flathead I caught that day was only the 6th flathead caught from my voat all year long. No pictures... I was alone and of course I released the fish. For what it is worth, the photo in my avatar is a 59 lb. fish caught in the exact same spot almost exactly a year ago (Christmas week 2005).

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    good job richard , buddy your giving that new boat a workout huh :lol:

14. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yea... I really like the special vinyl flooring on the G3 Deluxe. However I must admit that I miss the carpet sometimes. That vinyl gets real slippery when you lay a 44 lb. catfish on it! :big_smile: