Pay Pal Scam

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by squirtspop, May 2, 2006.

1. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I received an e-mail supposedly from PayPal stating that a charge of 395.85 US dollars was being charged to my paypal account. I had to do nothing if it was legit. It was from sales@phoneusa.com. for a Motorola Razr V3 Pink Slim Camera Phone. If I wanted to dispute it click on the link below.

I hadn't bought anything so I was going to dispute it. So I clicked on the link below and it brought up this other page. It asked for name, address, zip, phone number. Then it goes into this security section asking for credit card number, the 3 digit security code and the last 4 digits of my social security number.

So I started filling this dispute section out then remembered that my paypal account was not in squirtspop's name. So I erased all of the information I had already put in and went into paypal home page and read their security info. They state they will use your NAME and not "Dear Member" as this e-mail had. If you should get some fraudulent charge on your account, you are directed to forward it to spoof@paypal.com. This is what I did.

It almost got me so I thought I'd forward this on to you guys and gals to be forwarned that there is a paypal scam going around.

2. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use Mozilla Thunderbird and when I get those suspicious emails, I always check the return path of the message. It's never to Paypal. In thunderbird click on 'View' in the top tool bar and then click view entire header. That is where you will find the return path. Buyer Beware!

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :lol: THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP WARNING CHUCK.AT LEAST YOU WAS ON YOUR TOES AND DIDN'T GET TAKEN FOR A RIDE THANKS AGAIN.

4. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yea PayPal sent me one of those messages a couple years ago, saying that I owed them money from a charge over 30 years ago! I ain't but 24, but I can do the math. The email said do not respond to it, and they left no contact info. Something is not right with them, that's why I buy NOTHING

5. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    Great info there. I appreciate it since we all Paypal with the BOC and all its sponsors.

6. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    thanks for the info :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use Gmail for things like Paypal. Gmail id's Spoof mail with a red Warning banner on it... saying "This message may not be from whom it claims". All spoof mail is always sent directly to the spam folder... I never see it unless I prowl the spam folder.
    If everyone used Gmail, spoof mail would become obsolete.

I went to my spam folder and found this spoof paypal
    message to show the Warning banner.

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great post.

I get one of those a week. I just go to the shortcut on my desktop and check their website and login my information to see if any withdraws were made.

9. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    We will keep an eye open for it and thats for the great info!

10. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    thanks for the info. internet scams are very professional these days. we all must pay attention to emails or web sites requesting personnel information. identity theft is still a huge problem. we must protect ourselves.

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    thanks for the warning.

12. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I get one in the email about once a week but I know its not from paypal as I don't use that email for them so I just send it off to spoof. But great warning for the rest of the boc.

13. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    You definitely want to be careful with emails like that. My gmail stops that stuff, but my school email account which I am required to have doesn't. I get tons of emails fishing for information. Identity theft would not be good.

14. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    I always input a "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" into each field...and then submit it...:big_smile: