pay-lakes

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by head hunter, Dec 13, 2009.

1. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    I should know better ,,,,,but ,,,, anyone ever go pay-lake'n in the slow months,,????

I've never been on the rivers like most have ,,so i sometimes resort to pay-lakes as a fix in the winter ,,
    gotta cure the urge somehow. Anyone else ??

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if the pay-ponds around here still stayed open all winter and still stock burbot and trout i would still go. they all started closing during the winter about 5 years ago. most pay-ponds around here are closing up for good anyways, or have only weekend hours. the ones that are left mostly cater to the gambling/tournament crowd and BIG fish pots which i cant stand.

3. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    I know the owner of one close by ,,it still closes in the winter but he lets me in for free,,just not allowed to keep any,,,
    I used to go alot in the summer until they started getting more into tournaments,, do'nt care for that elbow to *sshole fishing either.

4. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Google cincy paylakes - I can't post a url

If you are in southwest ohio here is a directory of some lakes. Some stay open all year. If they stock trout they will be biting. Sometimes you get lucky floating fish heads for blue cats. Channel cats are always biting. However, finding a good bank fishing spot on the river is much better than a pay lake. And sometimes those fish tickets get expensive.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  5. Steph

Steph New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    only pay lakes i've been too were in summer, and i didn't like them for some reason.. i've been to snows lake, which is closed now, and thomas marsh lake.

6. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    for future reference, your not supposed to post names of pay lakes, makes the gods angry :wink:

we camped at one for a yearly fee. The men drank beer, the women griped about it and us kids caught fish. Was a great time.

After that place was no longer available, we found one close to home, made new friends and was a blast also. You could yell at each other across the lake and everyone laughed and had a good time.

Now it's all about money and a lot of people who fishes them are jerks.

It means more to me to catch decent fish out of a public place where I have to work for them and not expect to catch a bigger fish every time I go.

7. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Fished a couple years ago before I moved to the Mighty Muskingum River. Didn't care for em' to much. And it always seemed like the same people won the Tourneys every week. Seemed a lil' rigged to me. Just my opinion though...

8. Steph

Steph New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi

oh well what the heck! :sad2::confused2::confused2::confused2: really? didn't know that naming a lake like that could get them angry... lol.. :smile2::smile2: thanks for future reference though!!!

9. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i agree always seemed like the same people wining but on that note the times i have went out to one in particular the same people have always been there. after asking around i found out those guys were there almost every day and have developed a sence of where the fish hang out the structure and so forth. just as if you was out at the river every day you will learn it and where the fish are. granit in a paylake its def not the same as being out on the river but still has the same concept. still not to say there isnt any rigging going on at some lol

10. catfishDK

catfishDK New Member

State:
    cincinnati OH
    Oh boy, here we go!!

11. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Pay puddles? Never been to one and don't plan to ever go. I catch my fish on public water were its more of a challenge.

12. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    iv been to 1 paylake, 3 times. 1 time with the en-laws, 1 time with my brother from out of town,and one time when the kid's was younger. i wish more folks would go to them, that way more public waters would be open for me:roll_eyes::smile2::smile2::wink: OK BOY'S, LET HER RIP,WOMAN, AND KID'S, DUCK AND HEAD FOR THE DOOR'S:tounge_out::crazy::wink:

13. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    A buddy I work with is a of the "good Ole Boy" metality and loves to hit the Pay ponds for the big pots, He is a darn good fisherman and it seems he is always winning the pots right up to the last minute when someone shows up with a fish a lb or two over his. Several times it has been the same person who only shows up at Payout time, Hmmm, he figures its rigged and frequents several lakes in SW Ohio. Ill tell ya though, he has as much quality equipment as I do and if you heard the time and effort he has put into to learn these lakes and how to fish them, Im just glad he doesnt fish the rivers much because at tourny time, he would be tough to beat. :smile2:
    Lets all be glad these folsk are NOT on our rivers as many of them are excellent fishermen, I think we all tend to overlook that and it is keeping them off our home waters, Amen brother!!

Salmonid

14. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i cant believe that Jack hasn't been in here yet....haha.... check out www.catfishrescue.com and you will see how a lot of our members feel about them. i wont preach against them to the extreme of some people. i used to fish them all the time, however i now choose not to fish them unless i am with an elderly person or young kids that need the conditions that a paylake can produce. however some people forget that not all paylakes take from the rivers, some are actually stocked legally but not many.

15. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    that's what im saying, more water for us, heck ,i hope they keep fishing there:big_smile: