Pay lakes?

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by armyhooah, Jun 25, 2009.

1. armyhooah

armyhooah New Member

State:
    Lebanon, Ohio
    What do you all think of pay lakes?

I like them. Not always about the fishing, it is hard to go to the river with eight to ten buddies and fish together. Plus the Sheriffs like to mess with you about the beer.

I like lake and river fishing also. Please don't get me wrong there is a world of difference in pay lake'ing and River fishing. IMHO...River and large lake fishing is REAL fishing, but in pay lakes defense it brings people to the sport of fishing.

I know that the pictures I am about to share with you all are not legitimate catches. They where caught at two different pay lakes and are PR for pay lake fish. My personal record for Fattie is 26Lbs. I have never caught a Blue in the wild, Sad I know. After all this is only my second year catfishing.

(Rant over) enjoy.

First pic: 41 Lbs Second pic: 28 Lbs

Attached Files:

2. richard84

richard84 New Member

State:
    ky
    pay lake fishing is real fishing...i dont know were all the pay lake hating is coming from on this site but i lovem...regardless of were a cat lives,if you dont show him what he wants when he wants it then he aint gonna eat it...if someone dont like a particular lake because of how they get theyre fish then i get that but hating them all because of what some do is unfair...newcomers to fishing really respect the opinions of the senior members of this site and i would hate to see them never try something because they read that it wasnt real fishing,they are stealing fish,or only drunks go to paylakes etc...sorry im gettin away from your question but the erge to type took over:big_smile:...my opinion on paylakes is that some are terrible places to fish and some are as good as any river or public lake in the country...keep on castin folks

3. armyhooah

armyhooah New Member

State:
    Lebanon, Ohio
    I will agree that they get there fish from some place's that I do not like. But they have a commercial fishing license and are legally aloud to do what they are doing.

4. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    you guys just invited a ton of lecturing. i am not going to get into it but listen to some of these guys. they know what they are talking about

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    This will probably get ugly fast LOL, you say you have been been catten for a couple of years and by the gods of the paylake you have been able to catch a 26 and 41 pounder. Ill agree to a point that if you dont throw what they want that it is no different from fishing anywhere else, that being said find out how the lakes you fish get their fish. If they dont catch them by R/R they are getting netted fish or mass caught fish which take them from legitamate lake/river fisher people.

I aint knocken ya or trying to so please dont take it that way, my take is if I can pay 19 bucks for the year why go where I have to pay and pay and pay and pay... I may not catch bigguns but I do enjoy trying.

6. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    A freind of mine that works with me fish'es a big one in goshen ohio and hes told me that often times when he catches Blues in there they often look sickly,Why? most likely they cant stay healthy in a body of water they dont belong in.Another thread that was on this site a couple of years ago a respected BOC member had a conversation with one of the owners of one of the biggest paylake owners in ohio and the guy admitted that most of his fish die after being caught after 3 times.They just reopened one by my area that had been closed for a few years and there packed in there like sardines on the weekends at first it pissed me off but then I guess the one good thing it keeps them off the river by me.Im not saying it doesnt take skill to catch fish at a paylake Im sure after a fish gets a hook ran thru its jaw a few times they get hook shy it just makes me mad to see all those trophy fish put in those puddles to die.

7. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    You're not going to get a lecture from me, I think pay lakes are great for learning/testing rigging techniques and building your confidence, they are places where many people learn to fish, and in my mind that makes them atleast somewhat of a valuable resource.

There are paylakes that operate legitimatly and obtain all of their fish either from hatcheries or with commercial fishing licence(something that I do think needs to be regulated a little tighter).... and then there are some that will buy fish from people who caught them in lakes/rivers..... this is illegal and if you suspect that it's happening you should notify the DNR, and should probably not give that particular paylake any more of your money.

One thing I personally hate about paylakes is that they're usually filthy, loaded with garbage and stink of dead fish(you can often see dead fish floating near the banks), also at $12 a night per person, + all the bait and tackle they sell, they're making a KILLING..... giving them more money to hire more people and buy more equipment with which to rape our rivers and lakes with.

8. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    MAYBE SOME PEOPLE GO TO PAYLAKES BECAUSE ITS WHAT IS CLOSER TO THEM. OR THEY DON'T HAVE A BOAT, AND THERE IS SHORE LINE FISHING WHERE THEY CAN SPREAD EVER THING THEY BRING FORM THE HOUSE. THERE ARE LIGHTS AND SOME HAVE LITTLE SHELTER HOUSES SET UP. AND LIKE YOU SAID IT GIVES THEM SOME EXPERINCE THEY DID NOT HAVE BEFORE. SOME PEOPLE ARE SCARED TO DEATH OF THE RIVERS. AND IF YOU HAVE A WIFE WHO WILL NOT PEE IN THE WOODS, THEN YOU KOW WHY SOME AE AT THE PAY LAKE.
    SO EACH TO HIS OR HER OWN. BUT ITS ALL STILL CALLED FISHING,

HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE OUTSIDE AND THE COMPANY OF GOOD FRIENDS.:wink::big_smile:

9. Bear2123

Bear2123 New Member

State:
    Uhrichsville, OH
    There's a pay lake near Uhrichsville, not the best, but when you have your g/f's parents who aren't Avidi fishermen/women they don't wanna get slammed with a $130 fine (no license) a paylake thats only $2.00 and another $2.50 for a canoe isn't that bad.

Been there about 3-4 times haven't caught any cats, but have got numerous bluegill and a small mouth bass. I don't disagree with paylakes, especially when people just wanna have a good time and not get their license.

Has it's ups and it's downs.

10. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    pros and cons to pay lakes for sure i myself do use just one pay lake that i know 100% that nothing is stocked there but farm raised fish i've know the guy who runs it for many many years and he's about the most honest guy i know plenty of paylakes around that i question so i just dont go there i agree that its a good place to learn or for someone that just doesnt fish alot in a year to each his own i guess

11. flatheadsteve

flatheadsteve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i was really into paylake fishing. i caught alot of big fish out of paylakes 1 shovel over 60lbs and 2 blues over 60lbs. but then i just started realizing what the owners were doing to the fish all they do is kill them! a big fish cannot survive to long in a small pond with an average depth of only 10-12 feet of water. 70% of paylake owners hoop net and trot line their own fish taking mass quanities from the wild, killing the population just so they can sit around and count their money and its wrong :angry: so needless to say after i really started thinking about this i started fishing the rivers again! and i catch just as many fish out of the rivers as i did paylake fishing and im not giving someone $15 to do it.
    my advice to anyone who fishes paylakes is to stop giving them money to kill our fishery and try to protect it so there will be fish to catch in the future!

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    People and the varying degrees of comfort and energy that they are willing to expend are what drives pay lakes. This is also what keeps camping grounds occupied. From the really classy ones with motor homes with satellite dishes all the way down to non electric primitive tents. Not every one has the pioneer spirit ingrained within their soul. Oh they all buy in to the great out doors but only as far as their comfort level will allow them. Now a fella like me wouldn't be caught dead at a pay lake. It is not wild and free. To satisfy the adventurer in me I can not be contained by a ticket booth and fences. No it's the open water and the sense of discovery that floats my boat. There are folks that aren't very comfortable with any type of risk. As far as I can surmise these different kinds of personalities cant and shouldn't be compared. I am truly glad that pay lakes exist, if only to keep these less adventurous people safe and out of real life dangers. Actually I think that there should be new laws established concerning bad fishing procedures, like leaving line, worm and liver cartons on the banks, unattended jugs and lines as well as general rudeness and overall lack of fishing decorum. All violaters of these new laws should be regulated to Pay Lakes and monitored till they are fit to fish in public again. I would also instigate a three strike your out forever clause too. Yes I believe that pay lakes are a necessary evil, yet take away the illegal fish practices and they would serve to help our over all citizenry.:wink:

13. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    man, one year ago i would have lectured your ear off about paylake fishing but lately i've just been thinking...why? i know what i like and no one is going to change my mind, don't worry about what people think, just do what you really enjoy. who am i to tell you what your doing is wrong. its legal and its what your going to do anyway, despite what i may tell you.

just have fun man, thats all there is to it!

p.s. i've never fished a paylake in my entire life

14. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I do go to a local pay lake when I have the family with me. It is easier to keep an eye on the little ones, and I can put up a tent and let them sleep while the others fish/bullcrap. To a 5 year old, a gill is a gill, whether it came out of a river or paylake.

Around here the lure of the jackpots keep things going, but it does come with consequences. Some of the people they bring in have absolutely no respect for others and especially the fish. I have seen many dead blues from jerks dropping them on the ground and waiting for them to flop back in the water instead of doing that 15 second cpr. It is those jackasses I don't understand.

15. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    To each there own.Dont want to see people getting fish illegally and dont want to see familys that dont normally go fishing not get a chance to get hooked on to the sport as well .by fishing paylakes to see if you will like it.

16. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    We have a paylake that is also a supplier of fish to local resturants and has also a resturant hooked to it. I didn't hear anyone say they have to keep what they catch. You do not have to pay a fee to fish and must have a fishing lisease. Then believe me you will not be fishing all day because you pay by the pound of what ya caught. Hubby and I took the boys down there to have a learning thing way back hhhmmmmm when they were around 8 yrs old. Teeeehhheee We still hold the record on the biggest channel catch and we sure paid for it too. But it was priceless to get my boys interested in fishing. Ours back then, was extremely clean also. If I remember right they would even clean them for ya. We choose not to do that. Guess every pay type lake is different but my son expecially has been hooked ever since. Sorry you all's experiances were different

17. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Hmmm, requires a fishing license and you only have to pay for the fish you take out of it...... I'm not really so sure you could even call that a pay lake, in-fact..... I'm not really sure what you would call it?!?!:eek:oooh:

18. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    Its a fish market where you do all the work

19. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't like our big fish going to paylakes but I'd rather see that then this
    [​IMG]

20. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    here we go,women and kids , duck and head for the door!!:smile2: