pay it forward

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by fwmud, Oct 29, 2005.

1. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    The next time you go to the mailbox,stop at walleyworld,get a burger,or even just type whats on your mind here,stop, say a thank you and give it to whom it is due.
    The American solider.

They, every day put their life on the line for each and every one of us. Some here have done it,most have not.It's a most times thankless job,that pays little for what is put up for grabs."Life , liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"
    We all take most of these for granted. We've either never been in thier boots or have no desire to do so."this ain't my war." "i don't believe in what we're fighting for." "I don't agree with ehy we went in."
    Regardless of why we're there, why we went,or when we'll be through,there is one underlying fact in this statement we all loose sight of. "WE"
    yes, as a nation, we are all sotra there.Our tax dollars,our TV news, our newspapers,tell us this and that everyday. BUT!,WE are not there. Our beloved American solider is there. Whether or not you agree or disagree with the current president,congress or anything else rthat has to do with government,remember this ;
    Our brothers,sisters,moms,dads,uncles,aunts,cousins, and everyone you can name IS there.
    Give them something much more important. Give them your support. Don't tell them that you support them,but, don't agree with this or that.
    Just give them your support.Let them know when they return home,that their nation is grateful for their sacrifice. Tell your congressman,senator,whomever, that you will not settle for less than the best equipment, and tools that our great contry can give them.
    When it comes to wasteful spending, this my friends is never wasteful. Give our boys everything and anything they need.Whether it be for equipment there,or any and every kind of help for their families here,let them have it.
    Would you do their job? I know of a few here who have and still do.
    Please forgive me for naming evryone,I aplogize.
    We have those like Gator, Vic,"Georges #1 son TIm as well as many others who are/have/did, make that choice to defend those who cannot.
    Treat them with the respect and dedication that they rightfully deserve.
    This choice has no political,religious, or any other boundries placed on it.

God bless my brothers and sisters serving abroad,tonite, as I sleep sound,knowing that they are there.

2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Very well put Keith.

Ray

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Keith brother you do have a way of putting things, and I thank you as you are one of the one who has served also. Your right and I do want to thank all those who has and still are serving. We owe you our freedom thanks for all you have and are doing for us.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I couldn't agree more! Bristol is preparing to welcome home the 278th. They arrived in MS this week and will be home possibly by Wed. They deserve a grand welcome home, as do all of our service people.

Great post!

Off topic question: Is your real name Keith or just a nickname because you look so much like Keith Whitley? Curious in TN

5. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    yep real name and I'll take that as a great compliment. Keith Whitley was and still is one of my favorite artist.
    Thanks
    Are they flying into tricity airport? I remember going there as a youngin. My Dad drove us there from belfast Va. to welcome home some returning Vets from nam. it was in 70 or 71,I can't remember. he wanted them to see people waving and clapping on their return,not spitting and name calling as some got. dad,even though he was a preacher and a railroad worker,was also a Vet of korea. he even went so far as to "run off" a few who were there to protest their return.Dad told them, you have the right to protest,but, they're gonna see us first not you.

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Keith is right. I for one, have taken this subject for granted. I would like to say "Thank You" to all who have served and / or are still serving. With out you were would "We" be ? It's the guys and gals in the Armed Forces that have made Our Nation the Great Nation that it is.

Thank You to each and everyone of you guys / gals. May God Bless You !

7. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Keith that was a beautiful post, and I would love to thank each and everyone that has/is/or will be defending my freedom for that great nites sleep I know first hand how much guard duty sucks but they still do it for each and everyone one of us. May god bless and keep them safe.

8. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    Great post, Keith.

9. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks for your initial post, as well as this one, Keith.

I was one who came back to the Tri-Cities after my tour, as a dog handler/trainer, in SEA. And, who knows, it may have been on the day that you and your father were there and prevented the protesters. At that time though, I could have cared less about protesters. Since, all I wanted or cared about was to hold and kiss my wife, after our year of separation. Even though, during that year I had begun to wonder, if my wife was really real. Was she just a dream that I had made up in my mind? I read her letters, listened to the tapes she sent. But, it was all so unreal. My life, my love, was my dog. It was he who I talked to, it was he who I trusted to get me through one more long, lonely miserable night in the jungle. Through, hellish heat, monsoon rains, dodging snakes, avoiding ants, fighting mosquitoes etc etc, we patrolled silently, taking vantage points to utilize the keen senses he possessed. All to protect and defend a base and people who did not know we even existed. We were even jeered at (by our own people on the base, who knew we existed etc). Called, "smelly dog handlers" who don't do anything but smoke dope all night and sleep in the jungle etc etc. I could go on and on. But, suffice it to say, these things did not help my attitude.

California was quite different, we were met with jeering, cursing, spittin etc etc. And, even when I went to my next duty assignment in MA. We were met with the same. Really made me wonder about what this country had come to. And, whether or not I would ever want to defend these type of people again. It was a tough pill to swallow, for the ingratitude shown, to those of us who had laid our lives on the line, in the steamy jungles of SEA.

I'll shut up before I really get into a "rant" and vent all of my ill feelings of how we of the Vietnam era were treated.

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

Not sure, but likely the ones that live here will be flying in there. Now one of the articles is saying Tuesday. The local Armory, along with the community is preparing a welcome home at the Armory.

Thanks for an interesting story. One of my Brothers was in the service in 69 and not sure when he got out, as I was 10 when he went in. He taught in Germany something to do with making bombs or some such. The Vietnam war touched me as a child in ways I cannot begin to tell you. Over the years, I have learned to deal with it in my own way. I have a dear friend who was over there. He used to have severe flashbacks at times and if he was in a public place, they would call me to come get him. I was the only one who could deal with him when he got that way. There were times I had to physically go head to head with him and being about a foot shorter than him and lighter weight, made it hard at times, but in the end, he would calm down and come out of them or go to sleep. BHH, I hope his wife can deal with them. There are several other friends that I have seen have them and it's a hard thing for anyone to deal with. There is a gentleman here from Boston who has them here at work. He luckily realizes when they are coming on and leaves work, or we would have to send him home.

Here are a couple of links to the articles about the 278th:

http://tricities.com/servlet/Satell...RI_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128767852191

http://tricities.com/servlet/Satell...RI_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128767852191