Pay back time

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by odtimr, Aug 26, 2009.

1. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Well I remember taking those two little boys way before they started kindergarten sometimes under pretty severe conditions, you know times that try ones soul. I remember getting their snow suits on and starting to drill holes in the ice, and them saying daddy I got to go. Never at the same time of course. Telling them don’t drop the poles in the holes then trying to fish them out. Then we got into bluegills and a canoe which we still have almost 40 years later. Looking back this was the very best time. Bought the big boat TOO EARLY it scared the little guys, so sold it and had to wait another 10 years for another. One boy went to fishing only, the other to hunting only, but we sure had good times together. Then came girls and other things, not all good, not all bad.
    End of story oldest boy, who no longer fishes has been taking the old man fishing. He gets me in the boat not even getting my feet wet. He is the driver I am allowed to go anywhere, I want and can concentrate on the fishing completely. We have been spending as much time bonding again, I guess you could say, as fishing. He fixes the sandwich, goodies and drinks. Only this time I have to say he is the one in charge of me. I have had some questions about these so called golden years, but this certainly can be chalked up as one of the good parts.
    Luck

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Jerome ,it,s nice your son is now taking you fishn ,he paying you back for taking him ,enjoy your time together on the water or where ever ,u only pass this way once ,enjoy it :cool2:

3. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    thats great your son doing that for you...I would sell everything I own to go fishing one more time with my dad

4. cavereric

cavereric New Member

State:
    Austin,Texas
    Wow Jerome what a great post. My Dad used to take me fishing ( well he made me go) and at 39 I finally get the whole fishing thing. That brings back memories of freezing my butt off ice fishing, Walleye fishing in the spring (cold also I'm from Vermont and it never really gets hot there) and walleye fishing in the summer on the boat in Lake Champlain. At the time I could have taken or left the fishing it was just nice spending time with my dad. This reminded me that I need to take him fishing some night here in Texas. Thank you for the post.

5. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That is a great story. Makes a guy feel good.

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Those are great times . I would give it all to take my dad fishing one more time . He has been gone since 93 but never forgotten . I think of him everytime I wet a line . He was a hardcore catfisherman to the bone . He would fish anywhere . I have old pictures of him hold stringers full of catfish . When I say old it is those first kind of polaroid pictures where you used to have to put the powder stuff on them . There is hundreds of them . Awesome stuff .

7. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks about their dad when fishing. My dad passed away in 2001. He never got to go fishing near as much as he wanted, but when he did there was nothing but joy on his face. He loved to catch anything, from bluegill to stripers. Don't remember him ever catching a cat, though. He would have loved this website and these people.

8. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    That is a great story and it seems that you have a great son as well.He must of had some very good upbringing.:wink:
    It is amazing that the simple things in life seem to mean the most.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great post, Jerome!! Reps out to ya!!

Bill in SC

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jerome thanks for sharing a great story. I can see you are proud of the children. There should be a postive pay back. Reps.

11. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Great story Jerome, thanks for sharing that with us! REPS to you brother!

12. SnagHatr76

SnagHatr76 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Awesome post. There isnt much better than going out with my brother and dad to hunt down some fish. Even if we dont catch anything its always good to get out together. I hope someday I am lucky enough to have a son that takes me fishing

13. countryboy32c

countryboy32c New Member

State:
    Lansing, KS
    I just hopein my golden years my kids do the same for as yours does for you. You sound like one of the lucky ones. Great story thanks for sharing it.