Pay attention below the dam!

Discussion in 'Boating' started by paleocaver, May 8, 2006.

1. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Here's a pic that I've kept to show folks the trouble you can get into if you're not aware of your surroundings and/or familiar with the waters you're fishing in. I do not know who the person was, my ex-boss got the pic from a regional fishing forum here in North Alabama.
    The location is Wilson Dam, a major TVA hydro dam near Florence, Alabama. Contrary to what your fisrt impression may be, he didn't run aground, he simply didn't notice that the turbines were shutting down while he was fishing a shallow area near the dam. By the time he did, it was too late. The water can drop 3 feet in a matter of minutes. It can rise that fast also - so be careful if you tie up or anchor near the dam.
    This had a happy ending, after getting out and taking a picture, he waited a while until the turbines came back on and he floated off. Bet he'll watch out from now on.

Attached Files:

• boat.jpg
      boat.jpg
      File size:
      20.9 KB
      Views:
  2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That would be bad LOL
    Same way at Pickwick, If you pull up to load your boat. And they cut the boils off. You will have fun getting it back in the water. As here it will and can fall 3ft .
    Also one time I got back in a cove, And they cut the boils. And had to drag the boat (14ft john boat) over a rock pile to get back out.
    Pete

3. titowoody

titowoody New Member

State:
    ontario
    ]THE FOLLOWING IS A GOOD EXAMPLE OF WHAT NOT TO DO IN A SIK SIT IN KAYAK www.texaskayakfishin.com

I have never been in a kayak until I started trying boats a few weeks ago. Last night was my first attempt at fishing out of one. There is a place on the Grand River that is very good for walleyes this time year. Catch and release since the Walleye opener is May 13. Caught and released 2 14" fish and was having a blast drifting around the foot of a 6' dam. As my friend says "long story short" I nearly drowned.
    My footwear was inadequate (slip on water sandals) and I had neglected to secure my life jacket.
    One minute I was casting the next millisecond I was capsized in some very mean water [​IMG] (remember the friggin dam). Don't know what I lost first my footwear or lifejacket but luckily my white water canoeing experience kicked in.
    As I rolled out and under the kayak luckily when I surfaced the boat's cockpit was within arms reach. Trust me when I gripped that plastic hull I never let go, using it as a shield I bounced out of the white water and did a diagonal drift to shore. My bare feet where sliced up pretty good and I was friggin cold (ice out was a month or so ago).
    Unfortunately I took 2 of my favortie rods, Fenwick Medium Heavy 5' 3" rod and a Team Daiwa reel along with my Shimano Trolling Rod with a brand new Cacutta. Every thing else was tied down.

Lesson # 1 SECURE LIFE JACKET
    Lesson # 2 SECURE FOOTWEAR
    Lesson # 3 WHEN IN PRESCENCE OF WHITE WATER WEAR PROTECTIVE HEAD GEAR.

Now I know what not to do in a kayak When I get my Liberty I will go back and try it again, the boat is 11.5" deep and I know I am not going to flip.
    I tried to flip it the night I went out for an Aqua Fusion open paddle on the Thames river(contact http://www.aquafusion.com for info on open paddle, very informative), where the current is very similar to the Grand. After 1/2 hour of shear pleasure (it sure is fun feeling like a kid again) I had to bring the boat back for another person wanted to try it. Didn't tell the sales guy John but I was hooked. Have tried a few other comparable craft before putting my order.
    I can't wait for delivery (feels like Christmas Eve when as a kid I would anciously and impatiently wait for Christmas morning)

This web site reminds me of the ]http://www.dieseltruckresource.com site where in the span of 48 hours I managed to learn enough about the beauty of a Cummins (yes I am know one of those guys [​IMG] ).