Pawn shop deals

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ka_c4_boom, Dec 16, 2006.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i found a sturdy stick 6'6" heavy action with a zebco 303 and a penn 209 on a crappie rod today and had them switch out the reels i now have a sturdy stick with a penn 209 price was $ 25. yeehaw .

its a good time of year to buy at pawn shops guys selling their stuff to buy stuff for their wives :lol:

2. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri

3. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I gotta wait till tax season:sad2:

4. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    good idea, thanks

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Good buy. I recently paid $30 for a pawn shop 209. It looks new, probably was hot when the shop got it, no marks or signs of use. I've got one coming from Ebay from a good seller for $17.

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Way to GO Charles !! You Deserve It. J.D.:happy:

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    That's why I stay away from pawn shops.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Me and buddy make the pawn shop round in Fayetteville ( Fort Bragg ) once in a while. We'll hit porbally 20 pawn shops.
    I've learned this much. Deals are rare.
    The only way you'll get a deal is by knowing more about the value of an item then the pawn broker.
    I've hit one time with a severly bird nested Pinnacle round baitcaster on an IM7 graphite rod for 30 bucks. Its value is easily 100 bucks used.
    I had to play the game hard to get him doen off his 90 dollar price tag.
    I picked it up looked it up and down real good making sure the broker saw my interest. Put it down shopped around some and went back to it , this time testing the balance and looking it over again.
    This time the broker says I'll knock 15 bucks off right now. I said no thanks, with this bird nest there is no way to tell the function of the reel and the rod sure aint worth 75 dollars used.
    I started for the door and got to the door and he yells, make me an offer.
    I said , well I would gamble on the reel being ok for 30 bucks. The rod is worth that if the reel is shot. ( I know enough about reels and what to look for on the outside that I knew it was fine )
    SOLD!
    Dont show over eagerness. You dont want them to learn the value of things they dont know so dont teach them.

At another one my buddy played the game with part time help. He got a 200 dollar pool cue for 20 bucks. There wasnt a price tag on the cue and the hired help sure didnt know its value. He based the price on the junk pool cues with price tags.

You'll find that at most pawn shops the only fishing tackle you'll find is junk because either they have a tackle buyer they hold for or the owner fishes.

Tools, for the price they ask, you would be better off to add 20-40 bucks and buy new with a warranty. Tool deals are rare based on price and condition.

Tv's, forget it. Go to Walmart buy new cheaper. In fact if you price watch alot you'll find that alot of pawn merchandise can be bought at the same price or less at Walmart or Sears new.
    Computers, outdated junk or either just junk from the big box stores.
    Never seen a computer I would drag home from a pawn shop at any price.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for the tips:big_smile:

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    WAy to go Charles hadn`t thought of pawn shops right before christmas:cool2:

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    every thing that is inventoried is checked by the computer against a monthly list provided by the state polce to prevent this .

markj , i have certian shops i hit i always good good deals infact iv got a bamboo skippers rod that came with an albacore perma mesh reel the rod checked out at $450.00 and the reel at $250.00 all due infact of the age i only gave $65.00 for . i also purchased a laptop tashiba once for $200. it was a year old compared the price for a new one $750. my point being if you watch you can get good deals iv checked price before and really wanted it and jewed them down to half price then gone back a week or two later and got them down lower on the same item cause they had now other offers , its all in how you play the game and the time you spend in the store i always bust my money up a little in each pocket then what i pull out is all i have to spend and i try to keep the price as low as possible

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i was wrong its a squidder according to my brother i gave it to him tonight early christmas gift he likes penns more than me he says its a 150 or something it doesnt have a level wined but hes says it casts and reels smooth
    im not a penn man i prefer abu's

13. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Good deal, I like shoppin at pawn shops and sometimes you can find fishin stuff at yard sales.

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I am combining this post with a couple frm Bobpaul. I went today after reading this post yesterday and found a middle of the road metal detector Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver for 45.00 dollars. It didn't have a scratch on it and still had the film over the digital screen. I have seen these at Dick's Sporting Goods for 159.99. So I think I found a bargin.

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    sounds good benji , see i started something :lol:

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good deal, Charles! What a buy. I just got a pawn shop deal myself. I found an antique recurve bow at a pawn shop and my wife bought it for me for $50. It's in great shape and came with camo limb sleeves and a new string. She said, " Just what you need, ANOTHER BOW!" I man can't have too many fishing poles, bows or guitars.

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    truer words have never been spoken :lol:i have 3 compound bows myself

18. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Way ta go Chuck, on the aquesition and also for Pawn Shop 101.
    :smile2:

19. riverwiskers

riverwiskers New Member

State:
    kelly nc
    Great deal Chuck, Why cant I get that lucky. A guy at the beach here bought a painting for like $2, come to find out it might be a Picaso original worth hundreds of thousands,for real. It is in DC being authenticated at the moment. Well I'm not that lucky.

Dale

20. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Charles sounds like you did very well.

My experiences over the years in pawn shops have been similar to Marks. I've never found anything that wasn't over priced. I remember one thing in particular that I needed was a set of refrigeration gauges. I looked at several pawn shops and finally went to a parts store and bought new set for the same price.