"Paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by gilmafam, Dec 13, 2006.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Isn"t it the way it goes.... progress gets in the way of fishing. Use to fish one "good ole hole" years ago... easy to get to, kind of homesie with its character.... catch craw dads, giant bull frogs (20") and eating size cats. There were gills, carp, bass and a whole lot of other things that would scare you as you would wade to gig the frogs. That was before the 110 freeway, "Harbor Fry" was built....for the betterment of society and Los Angles.... now, there is some fishing but very limited in Harbor lake 4 miles south (we have a famous gator in there now" You can't fish the river... cause its all cement lined so all of the runoff can zip to the ocean...

Have any of you got fishing holes that you use to get to real easy; driving there and walking a short distance, and now you have to launch a boat to get to it?.....because of the interstate over the top of it... with limited access to it?

Isn't it a great feeling to be in a boat under the freeway on fri evening "catfishing" and watching people "creep" by on the freeway.... going home from work....Some "ole boys" pulling on their horn wishing they took the day off too.

bayrunner ray

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Nope, Ray, progress hasn't come East of the Rockies yet, heck maybe even the Smokies and thank God above! When progress destroys the mountains, we all might as well KOAG.

Take care.
    Cheryl

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC

All you've got in the Mntn's so far are pay parking lots all through out the river and lake systems.

Not to bust anybody's bubble, but drug addiction and alcoholism are as rampant in those mntn's as any big city, and let's not forget political corruption.

Moving further south to Fl, I've also seen and helped develop the multiple freeways and massive nieghborhood projects that've closed off good fishing holes and hunting areas.

Fl made the news this year by allowing big industry, ( Drug Company) to develop a nieghborhood for it's own gain. City government, through the "Eminant Domain" laws, siezed water front property of private citizens so it could be sold to said drug company for private development and increase it's tax revenue, paying for it what they wished and not allowing the free enterprise factor to work.

All this was upheld by the federal supreme court. It's happening all over the country now.

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.

When I first heard about this decision by the supreme court, I could not believe it.
    I am absolutely amazed that the people of this country did not storm the court building, carry the "justices" that produced this decision outside and string them up from the nearest tall tree as a warning to the legal profession that we will not be run over in the name of corporate greed.
    But I guess the spirit of the founders of this nation has completely disappeared.

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Bob,

You make valid points, but I was dwelling on the fact that I don't have to fish under freeways. Yes there are and ever will be changes, but I don't foresee fishin' under any freeways (plural) any time soon in NE TN. My grandfather had to sell his 200+ acres to the TVA to become part of South Holston lake, and I'm sure he got no where near the value of his land, homes, etc., so emminent domain was pretty much a reality even 100 years ago, IMO.

Still I can go out on the lake and feel a kinship to my ancestors, my Mother and brothers, as they all used to live under what is now part of that lake. I can still walk on land they most likely walked on, fish from the lake that is fed by the river they once fished from, and see some of the fantastic views they saw from the valley they lived in. My Father hunted 'seng up there until he could no longer hunt.

Heck I may one day disappear and live in a teepee up there. The black bears would probably find me before anyone else. As long as I can stay away from the "gardeners" paradise, I'll be fine.

I bet you have roamed South Holston Mountain in your past. please share your stories.
    Take care.
    Cheryl

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yup, been through those mountains over to Va. The road's a cork screw.

Fished the lake you mentioned many times and Boone lake too.

Drifted the South fork of the Holsten river in the evenings after work for rainbows and brown trout.

Heard stories of when they drained Wattauga lake and people were allowed to venture through where the original town of Butler used to be before it was relocated to higher ground.

Met a retired Army sargent from Butler that owned the whole hill top, full of black berries. He had a two story mobile home, made it himself. Picked many a bucket of blackberries after work when I didn;t go fishing. That sargent was born and raised not 20 miles from where my home is now, here in NC.

When driving the 18 miles back to Pogy from Bluff city every day I always enjoyed the view looking over towards Elizabethton.

Yes I lived in Pogy with the outlaws.

A good friend from Hampton was the main supplier of white liqure for most of the 3 surrounding counties and the Scottish games on Grandfather Mtn.

I met several up there that were millionaires. Partied with them and the locals at the same functions.

Personally new all the boys from the Birch Springs Blue Grass Band. When my friends had a get together, those boys came to play, no charge.

It was a good time in my life, but things change.

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Definitely...........every day is different, and it's different every day......just remember we don't have many marbles left in that jar of Saturdays.

Love the view to Elizabethton too, but I love the Unaka view even better, to Erwin. Gonna disappear when Mom passes and that's one of 3 choices so far.

Take care.
    Cheryl