Paulo Filho vs Chael Sonnen II

Discussion in 'UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, etc.' started by Moonlightn, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    I've been waiting for this one since the last one!! Paulo is a thug and Chael is a man he should fear and respect. If you seen part one you know what I'm talking about! Just because you are in an armbar doesn't mean that it's over. Chael was doing everything right in defending the arm bar in their last fight and wasn't in much danger in my opinion. This fight will be good!!

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Paulo is one my favorite fighters. He has some really good jiu jitsu. It'll be another good one!

3. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the comment!
    He does have a good ground game that's for sure. I just don't care for him much. If I remember correctly don't you study bjj. Watch this clip and pause it. It is hard to see the wrist in the video. But it doesn't look like he has Chael's wrist or shoulder locked. It looks to me that Chael was on his way out. I can't find a video of the whole fight but I know Chael escaped at least one other weak a/b attempt earlier in the fight. Chael dominated that whole fight. IMHO
    No matter who wins this next fight. It will be worth watching. They both learned a lot about each other that night that you just can't learn from watching videos.
    I can't wait!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHhzgow2KKg

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for the clip. That was a really nasty looking arm lock! At least Chael was sport enough to admit that he gave the verbal tap even though he didnt really mean to. He probably got a quick scare from the way his arm was bent.

Yeah I try to study BJJ (key word TRY:tounge_out:)...so Paulo being from BTT all those years and the fact that he has trained with some of the best including Master Rickson...makes me a little more partial to him.

5. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    I just found this clip. Maybe this is why he wasn't looking so sharp in that fight...
    http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/04/24/video-paulo-filho-on-rehab-sonnen/
    It's going to be a good night of fighting

Here’s the card for WEC 36 Sept. 10, 2008
    • Urijah Faber vs. Mike Brown @ FW (WEC Featherweight Belt)
    • Paulo Filho vs. Chael Sonnen @ MW (WEC Middleweight Belt)
    • Leonard Garcia vs. Jens Pulver @ FW
    • “Razor” Rob McCullough vs. Donald Cerrone @ LW
    • Jake Rosholt vs. Danillo Villefort @ MW
    • Johny Hendricks vs. Alex Serdyukov @ WW
    • Steve Steinbeiss vs. Mark Munoz @ LHW

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I have to agree, but I think Paulo would have snapped his arm if it wasn't stopped.....you can not defend against it if you are already in it that deep, you can only tap or snap

7. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    That "arm bar" was in the last few seconds of the round if I remember correctly. I still think that since Mir broke Silva's arm (I think that's who it was anyway) the referee's don't hesitate to stop the fight due to an arm bar attempt. Only time will tell...!

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This sucks! :angry:

POSTPONED Due to the Threat of Hurricane Ike to South Florida. Fight rescheduled for November 5

9. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    I read that too. When versus was playing reruns I had to see what was going on.
    Personally I think Paulo got scared and called in a bomb threat to the weather channel. Demanding they declare that there's a chance for a natural disaster, or else he would... So they exaggerated the weather situation to the entire nation. Resulting in the postponement of the fight.
    If your reading this Paulo, I'm on to you! You can't run forever!! You should just put the belt in the mail and save yourself the expense of the plain ticket.
    Not to mention the pain and humiliation of defeat...:smile2: