Patterns After Cold Front

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by catfish dreams, Oct 12, 2006.

1. catfish dreams

catfish dreams New Member

State:
    Huffman texas
    Need some info on crappie behavior after cool front passes thru.The fish had been on brush in abought 10ft of water,also was doing good at drop off of creek channels.The water temp. is around 80 still. Im wondering if cold front will move the fish out and scatter them. The low temp. is only going to be in the low 60. My experiance is that they get lock jaw and scatter,just want to have some more info.

2. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    After a cold front I've found that crappie change their depth, usually deeper and go into the brush or hug the bottom. During this time you have to present the bait in their face and provoke a strike. Plan on getting snagged more after finding them but they will bite. hope this helps

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I agree with Michael. A cold front will usually move them deeper or tighter to cover. But I have seen a few times when a cold front comes in while the water is still warm (80 is warm to me) and they will actually move shallower, to take advantage of that cooler water-but that is a rarity-not the normal. I would try some minnows-small minnows seem to get more bites from lock jawed crappie than jigs do- at least IMO.

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    After the front passes does it take a coulpe days for them to come back higher?
    We just ahad a cold front come in and brought snow with it. Water temp. was 62 before the snow. I am trying to figure out if the water has turned yet.
    Bill

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    We had a cold front too, temps dropped into the 20's at night. Went out saturday and sunday and killed the crappie, we fished 2 feet of water with minows-they were still there, some nice ones too. 13-14 inches.

6. catfish dreams

catfish dreams New Member

State:
    Huffman texas
    Got to go fishing sat.the fish where I caught them before were bitting slow and smaller than last time out. So I pulled up anchor and moved out a bit to a water depth of 18ft then used line to drift over 13ft. Moved boat back and forth ended up with 9 crappie.The biggest was 1.75lbs several more were 1.5lbs,not monsters but good eating.THANK FOR THE INFO. GOOD LUCK.

7. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Man I'm still tryin to find em the river that I fish, no good so far.

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    fish backwaters. I fish the ohio river and the crappie seem to be in the backwaters, aka creeks, all year except summer. i think they prefer the no current. I just think they move out in the summer because of the temp of the creeks, but they are back in the creeks now-big time. been catching them in 1-3 feet of water. just try the slower waters of your river and get down in the nastiest cover you can find, they should be there!

9. Cornmeal and Catfish

Cornmeal and Catfish New Member

State:
    Covington, Louisiana
    They will hit the bottom...usually a couple feet off of the bottom, hardly ever on the bottom. I switch to a dropshot around this time rigged 18" off the bottom. I love fishing cold fronts because I usually run into more slabs!

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    went out last saturday, we drifted a drop shot in 20 feet of water, we did ok. We did better with bigger minnows, than we did with the small ones. I'm gonna give em another shot this Saturday.