Patoka Lake

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bnorth, Jul 8, 2007.

1. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm heading out to Patoka this coming weekend for some Striper fishing, and know that when the stripers slow down that my uncle, brother, and I wil start the hunt for some cats. Anyone fish Patoka enough to know if I should be looking for blues, channels, or flats? Any tips? Or secret classified "hush-hush" holes I should be looking for? Anything anyone has to offer would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    .....any takers?

3. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    Wish I knew something about Patoka, I be glad to tell you:big_smile: Good Luck!

4. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Ben, I fish out of Bolder, when I get to go. If you are going to fish for white bass. If you start at the R.R. tracks go south to the first silo, it holds some good whites and some good cats.At that silo go west some 500' and you will run into the old river bed.It is 12-14' deep there.You can try around both of the Islands. You can try the second silo out just south and east of it there is a ridge that runs south by south east 2'-4' deep.

BIGCAT GarryEads

5. CPD159

CPD159 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ben, I usually go to patoka a couple of times a year for Bass Tourneys. If you go in the park, go to the Patoka Lake marina. Theres a little female that has always pointed me to the recent hot spots. It's the marina that has the floating cabins. I haven't been there yet, but going in August. Let me know how you make out. Good luck.

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Ben try lil Patoka, in the speed zone.....off the banks with errosion evident I've caught some nice channels. Good luck on the stripers.

7. whiskergetter

whiskergetter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :wink:We usually fish the Dam at patoka during the day. Fish right out towards the pump station for the dam,it's about 45 to 50' deep there. We use redworms(not nightcrawlers) and chicken liver. chicken liver works the best there. at that spot we have caught some nice channels. Flatheads, You may want to try jackson ramp, to the right of the ramp. You will see alot of rocks to the right of the ramp on the far bank. there are some good holes over there. use either inmature bluegills or any sunfish and work the holes or you can also use some artificial baits. Blues...dont have much info on them, never really caught a nice one out of patoka. Good luck if you come back this way.

8. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well, I guess since I never did report back after our trip, that I ought to now. We went trolling for stripers on two seperate mornings with no luck. There were probably 8-10 other boats those mornings that were trolling also and we only saw one land any fish. We managed to get out one night for catfish; fished the Osbourne ramp off the dock and caught a couple decent channels, at 4 & 6 lbs respectively. Sorry, I forgot the camera so no pictures of them. Seems like the channels prefer chicken livers over anything else, since that was the only thing anyone, including people not in our group, were catching them on. Did see one guy pull out a fish that looked to be at least 10lbs, could have been pushing 12-15lbs, it was hard to see from where I was standing. Hopefully I will get back down to fish it again this fall, I know I will be down to spend some time in the woods when deer season rolls around, so we'll see what happens.