patience

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by catinaldatime, Feb 3, 2008.

1. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    how long do you keep your poles in before moving them,its a mental game!

2. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    sometimes i will have my poles in the water so long i start to get dizzy from looking so long at either my bail,tip of my pole,or just the whole pole,even though i have my clicker set or drag i still cant take my eyes off my poles.yall might think im weird but my poles sit a min of three hours or more in one spot,i wont through a live gill out there and only let him sit an hour,cant find my self to move my poles.for some reason ive had luck leaving my poles in 1 spot.now,im talking about flathead,if ur going for channel cats please dont keep ur poles in that long,move on for channels.im not saying my way is the way to do it.im just seeing how other catfisherman deal with patience,i will tell u like this fishing for flathead has tought me patience in the everyday life i live,with my kids,wife,ect.:big_smile:

3. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i don't sit and wait that much... probably 30-45 minutes without getting hit and I move. But, are you fishing from a boat or bank fishing?

If you're boat fishing, and you know of other spots it's a little easier to make the decision to move. Plus, you could always return to a spot if the bite is just that slow.

If I were fishing a large spot that could potentially hold a big fish, I'd be likely to stay longer. However, I'd still move the baits occasionally to be sure I'm covering the area.

Shawn

4. Goofy

Goofy Member

State:
    Moline, Illinois
    From boat on stink bait I will usually sit about twenty minutes re-baiting at approximately ten minutes with no action on a known spot. On a new spot I might be a little more patient but move the bait location a bit to explore. Like to see CATT MATT post here to get the whole spectrum of stink, cut and live bait.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    20-30 minutes tops without a bite. However, when moving, 2-3 feet can sometimes make the needed difference.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    if bank fishing with a live gill or shad ill leave the pole sitting in the same spot as long as the bait is alive as long as i know im in a good spot. when on a boat i usually drift a pretty large area.

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Depends how energetic I feel. I may just sit there all night without a bite and drink beer if the mood suits me. LOL

8. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    From a boat i wait about 20 mins and then reel up and move on. I dont do alot of bank fishing anymore. Well actually i dont do any bank fishing anymore lol.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Typically no longer than 20 minutes. At that time I replace my bait on all poles. I like to have fresh bait it the water and it also provides the area I'm fishing with a nice scent and I LIKE TO THINK that it gets the fish moving around. When in a boat, I never fish more than 1 cycle of bait at the same hole if the fish are not biting

10. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    Hey fishing partner, you giving away our secrets.:wink: At least you didn't tell them that we were setting up in the feeding area above the hole that always seems to hold the big flats. We set up an half hour before dark. We set our lines across the topside of the hole between the hole and the bait fish. We let the fish come to us. :eek:oooh: I'm glad you didn't explain all our secrets. We don't want everyone educating those big fellows that we release. :smile2:

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    IF NO BITES 30 TO 40 MINUTES

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I usually drift so my baits usually movin depending on the current or wind.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    bout the same. i dont get a hit for 30-40 ill move the bait to a different depth or area. or just pop a beer and hope. all depends. i do like to keep fresh bait on though.

14. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I always fish from a boat, I will run as far down river or up as I care to go then fish holes that I know all the way back to the ramp. Most of the time I don't stay over 20 or 30 minutes before moving unless it is a really good hole or I am getting steady hits on my gills. A friend once told me that this flathead fishing has sure made a heck of a bluegill fisherman out of him. LOL
    :big_smile:

15. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    well see as long as i can keep that gill alive in water hes fine witch ive had them live up to 4 hours at a time on a hook.like dan tha fisher man said,we find a hole and cover it until it comes to us,yes it is very hard to just sit that long,now thats not all we do,we drift ALOT,we cover alot of area,we move r poles around.BUT when it comes that evening time,we set up and we stay,like i said before it might not be the right way of doing things,but thats how we have had our luck i guess,thats why i joined this sight to see if i can do things a little different,see if i can learn from older people with more experience.im all about learning,teach me.:big_smile:

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Off the bank my bait could sit there hours. I fish where I know cats travel so I'm always in one area. An example would be one night I went out and with in 20min I caught a #10 blue. I casted back out and it sat there 4 hours and landed my Pb #20blue. Ive sat there 8 hrs with out a bite, then my line just starts screaming out.....I wait till they travel past me. I'm not into moving around at night because lots of times I'm settled in to good with a campfire etc.

On a boat I mainly drift.

-Jim-

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Nothing wrong with it from my view, there is no wrong or right way to do it really, is there? any given day and time, You know, It's the fella that goes out fishing and doesn't learn atleast one new thing each time that is foolin himself IMO. I will set in one spot longer on the river than a lake though, and for me, I think the hardest part is moving, LOL, then ya have to set and wander if you just left the bite that was getting ready to start :wink:

18. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'll typically stay 30-45 minutes. If I'm getting bites I'll hang around, if I've only gotten 1-2 bites, I'm outta there. Too much river, too little time.

Each time I go out I make it a point to try at least 2 new spots. Being in a boat, I have that luxury. When I bank fished I'd sit in the same spot for hours.

19. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    A lot of different techniques used to catch catfish in this site. River fishing versus lake fishing require different approaches to hole locating and feeding areas. Flathead versus blue/channel fishing changes our setups. The amount of patience required for the different styles will also vary. For blues and channel, drift fishing works very well especially during the slow bite times. I fish mostly lakes but I have never caught a flat while drift fishing. I am not going to say I never will though. I have only caught one in the daylight hours. I don't drift fish much after dark which might be the answer why I haven't caught a flat while drifting. Maybe a subject for another thread?

20. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good question...keep them coming buddy...