Patience? Inherited or Developed over time?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by wolfman, Oct 11, 2007.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Thinking back when I was a youngster, I definately didnt have the patience then as I do now when I went fishing. Now I know why Pa sat in one spot on the bank for hours, while I was constantly moving...10 minutes here, 15 minutes there and then move again. When I would return to the spot where dad was after about a hour, he would have a couple more nice catfish on the stringer.

What about you? Did you always have patience or did you work at it your whole life?

2. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I think patience is an inherited trait that gradually shows up as we get older.
    I don't remember working at it, but as the years go by I seem to have more of it. At least I tell myself I'm not slowing down, I'm just getting more patient as the years go by :eek:oooh:

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i definately think that it is something that you learn. i dont have much patience now, but i know i have alot more than i had before i married my wife and inherited my son. kids will do that. they will try your patience until you finally learn that you are growing more accustomed to it and eventually you will get to where the house could fall down around you and you wont get to excited over it.

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lol Good one Walt, patience only comes with age if you pay attention. It is I believe a learned behavior starting from a very young age and taught by those closest to you. Later you are rewarded by your practice of patience and that only serves to fortify your actions and use of patience until some people think that your are dead! or just numb! lol Applying patience in fishing is easy compared to women, kids or morons.... lmao:eek:oooh::crazy::smile2::wink:

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    youre right on jack:wink:

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ain't no sense repeetin what has been said in the other posts. Hit it on the head.

7. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I will admit this is my down fall. I am just about the most impatiant person you can ever meet.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Some things you never gain patience for.
    It depends entirely on "patience for what"

9. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Once I realized I didn't need to be;
    Sitting on the best spot on the lake,
    catching the most fish,
    first one to the dock,
    got the biggest bargain,
    warmest,coolest,
    right every-time and otherwise
    on top of every situation ...

I actually enjoyed the shady spot on the bank ,
    Not having more fish than I could eat to clean,
    how much less fuel and how much quieter the outboard was at half throttle,
    putting on or taking off a hoodie to suit the thermometer,
    letting my opinions be My opinions....
    and watching the world sorta cruise by like a slow moving Parade with lots of folks impatient to be somewhere else...:smile2:

Its an Acquired ... Skill only available to me after age 50..
    Slow learner. I guess, but a great lesson.

Good thread ! Thanks

10. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I must be going thru my second childhood as I don't have patience for squat...:smile2:

11. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    things i dont have patience for: stupidity, bad service at a restuarant, rude people younger than i am, disrespect to people older than me, disrespect toward a woman, and people who try and steal my fishing spot.

Things i do have patience for: funeral processions, teaching my son to tie a hook, teaching a child how to cast a rod, teaching a child anything, an elderly couple crossing the road hand-in-hand, pregnant women doing anything.

Things i am still learning patience for: my wife waking me in the middle of the night because she heard a noise (freaks me out), my son yelling at the playground, bad drivers, and people who talk alot.

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    fishslayer, you're gonna get to practice saturday then. i love to talk when out in boat fishing and drinking. :0a1:.
    i learned to be patient. after loosing 1/2 my hair with the kids, had to in order to keep the rest. i just slowed down and :surrender: to it and now enjoy life like never before.
    gary

13. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    gary, what i meant was someone who talks randomly to no avail and with no purpose. i am sure i will not get impatient being with you. everytime we talk i learn something new, you seem full of wisdom beyond you years. i look forward to sepnding time out on the water with you and the rest of the guys from the BOC

14. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i agree i think patience i just something you will learn over time. well with fishing anyways. i used to be to most impatient fisherman alive. now its just a thing don't bother me to sit however long it takes

15. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    im naturally a patient person, and it pays off when fishing gets slow

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I am the most non patient person in life, except fishing or hunting. I could not tell ya why.

17. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I believe that patience is learned. I also believe that it is situational, depending on which emotions elicit which response(s).

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Everyone is born with a different persanality, thats what makes you who you are. Patience is part of that personality. I don't know if that makes it an inherited trait or not. I used to have the patience of a rock but somewhere along the line i've lost it, don't know exactly when or how but it's gone :smile2:. Just hope i live long enough to find it again lol.

19. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I saw a good cartoon on the subject ---"I thought my patience was getting better with age ===turn's out I just don't give a sh#t!". Now this does not apply to fishin'.

20. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    i only have patience when i'm fishing. everything else is subject to change without notice:smile2: