The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
USCA Jailhouse Lawyer
15,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I’ve been seeing a lot of posts from folks who think that they should have instant results when out fishing a new body of water or with a new technique or rig. I think some have forgotten the number one rule of fishing: patience. Anticipation is a great thing to have but it should always go hand in hand with patience. There is no substitute for experience and as we all know that equals putting in time on the water as well as studying maps and charts and any other resource you can get (like this site). Just my two cents.

·
Fish Sticks
1,588 Posts
I have seen post that suggest moving after 15 minutes if you don't get a bite! Heck I'm not even ready to open my chair and sit down after 15 minutes. I know the Bass guys, with their 250HP mighty bass boats gotta cover water, but that's not fishing anymore when you do that. That is not enjoying the art of fishing. Fishing is not a "sport" unless your a pro, then it's just a job.

I like to take my time and have a good friend along for conversation and enjoy nature together. The last time I was out with my wife at a local lake we were treated to a competition between a White Crane and a Blue Heron. They were trying to get the best fishing spot on the lake for themselves. The Heron has claimed this spot many times before with out being challenged, but this day was different. The Heron had been fishing and sunning itself for a good half hour when we spotted this White Crane flying towards the Herons feeding spot from across the lake. The Crane started by dive bombing the Heron. The Heron would fly off and come back and return the favor to the Crane. This back and forth went on for a good 10 minutes. The Crane finally gave up and flew to the other side of the a lake. The Heron stuck around for about 5 minutes then flew off in the same direction as the Crane. Neither came back the rest of the time we were there.

I know during that time that we both got some taps on our lines and missed a fish or two but it was totally worth it as we were only about 25 yards from all the action. Hadwe been "a Runnin and Gunnin" we would have missed this epic of life play out.

·
Registered
817 Posts
In the summer and winter the channels are stacked. If I dont get a bite in 10 minutes im gone. When you find them, youll hook up before your 2nd rod is out. In the spring and fall when the fish are on the move, you can do just as well sitting in one spot.

This time of year being mobile is the difference between 5 fish and 50 fish.

·
USCA Jailhouse Lawyer
15,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nick, bass folks are just like everybody else - some do and some don't. I know some who take their time and actually enjoy fishing. Unless you're in a tournament looking for numbers I just don't see the point.

·
USCA Jailhouse Lawyer
15,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the summer and winter the channels are stacked. If I dont get a bite in 10 minutes im gone. When you find them, youll hook up before your 2nd rod is out. In the spring and fall when the fish are on the move, you can do just as well sitting in one spot.

This time of year being mobile is the difference between 5 fish and 50 fish.
Kevin, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about learning your waters and equipment. It takes time.

·
Old Squeezer
21,858 Posts
First of all, I have nothing to prove either to myself or anyone else.
Therefore I truly enjoy fishing. I fish mostly by myself and in a day's time (or a night's time) I may do several different types of fishing. I try different things, different baits, different presentations, different rigs, and rarely have more than one rod doing the same thing.
I pay attention to what is going on around me whether it is a tug with 20 barges, someone on a jet ski, or a bird in a tree and enjoy just being there.
Eventually I learn what works and where it worked at and that is what memories are made of.

That is the sport of it for me.

·
USCA Jailhouse Lawyer
15,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Y'all seem to be missing the point. I'm talking about folks that are new to fishing or catfishing who don't want to put in the time to learn about the sport and the waters they fish. They seem to want everything done for them. Learning how to fish for different species takes time. That's what I'm talking about. Not how much time you spend in one spot or if you watch the birds or whatever. People need patience to learn about how it's done and figure out what to look for in the water. There is no teacher like experience and that is only gained by putting in time and paying your dues so to speak.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
hello folks.
i know my river very well i been fishing it 70 years.that being said im having to learn it all over again.i have gotten old and decrepted.the places i always catch fish are hard to get to.steep slate banks or a jumble of large rocks and i been falling a lot lately so they out.the places easy to get to only hold fish in th spring when the fish are on the move.i tried to get down the slate bank today and i fell and rolled bout 20 foot.i laid there almost an hour thinking i had broke my hip.finnaly got to feeling good enuff to hobble back to my truck.called my wife and had to wait 2 hours for her and my son got there to drive me and my truck home.im useless.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your fall , but I wouldn't consider yourself useless . That's pretty harsh . We all need to make adjustments on how we approach things we used to take for granted as we get older and weaker . I never thought twice about tossing a 75 lb. canoe up on a roof rack 10 years ago . Now I tow a lower trailer and use a canoe cart . Would it be possible for you to get to your favorite fishing spots by boat ? You have a computer . Place a fishing buddy request out there on your favorite forums and see if anyone is close by that may appreciate some company on fishing trips .Esp Especia with your knowledge of the area ! I think you'll be surprised how many fellow fisherman may respond . Best of luck to you my friend and NEVER GIVE UP . Just regroup and get a new plan .

·
Registered
817 Posts
Kevin, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about learning your waters and equipment. It takes time.
I study my waters by studying lake maps at home, weather patterns, water levels etc. But you will not learn your waters by sitting in one spot for hours watching birds. I may be the oddity here but thats fine, i fish to catch fish. I go enjoy nature when I want to do that also. I also hunt to hunt, shocking I know. Fishing for me isnt about sitting on the water relaxing and watching wildlife, I am always trying to better myself, learn, and achieve my goals of catching.

Kinda falls back to the joke about sunset pictures mean the fish didnt bite.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Y'all seem to be missing the point. I'm talking about folks that are new to fishing or catfishing who don't want to put in the time to learn about the sport and the waters they fish. They seem to want everything done for them. Learning how to fish for different species takes time. That's what I'm talking about. Not how much time you spend in one spot or if you watch the birds or whatever. People need patience to learn about how it's done and figure out what to look for in the water. There is no teacher like experience and that is only gained by putting in time and paying your dues so to speak.
My bad, guess I did miss the point. Lets not forget (and i really dont want to offend anyone here) but this is catfishing... You toss some live or dead fish and catch them. This isnt walleye, musky, or bass fishing... And thats why i like it. Its simple and easy, you drive around until you mark fish then you toss some live or dead fish on a hook to them, stick your rod in a rod holder, and wait for them to hook themselves.

Obviously there can be more to it... But catfishing is as hard as you make it. But being that its simple is why it is enjoyed by millions of people from children to the elderly, anyone can do it!

As far as people not wanting to put in time to learn, thats what this forum is for. We can share knowledge and in one thread have that newbie packed with the knowledge it used to take people 5 years to figure out. And now with navionics and fishsmart apps, you have a view of the lake/river in your pocket. You can learn to catfish and learn where to fish in your lake in just a few minutes. Thats the power of the internet.

I cannot stand people who play the ranking game, youre new so you know less than the guy who has been fishing for 5 years and i know more than him because i have fished for 40 years. What i REALLY hate is the old timers on the water that treat newbies like dirt because it took the old timers 30 years to learn what the newbie did in a year and they are jealous. Again, the power of the internet. Anything you want to learn is a few clicks away.. mastering it does take experience (i say that instead of time because everyone learns at different rates).

But to fall back on what you said.. a newbie can learn where and how to catfish in a few hours without even leaving their house.

·
USCA Jailhouse Lawyer
15,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still the point is being missed. There are some here who aren't even trying. I'm locking this thread now. Guess it's just pointless. *Sigh*

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.