Patagonia

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by anakin, Jul 31, 2006.

1. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Went out with fishergirl last weekend & the weekend before. Didnt post about the first trip because we got skunked by the flatheads but caught a few eater channels. This past weekend fishergirl happend to catch a 7 lb flattie off a gill at about 2am at a new spot we decided to try. I still came up empty handed. Will post pic when i get home from work...

P.s also had better success rate with keeping gills alive once we stopped casting out into the deep open water. I think when we cast em out into deep water its killing them. Let me know your thoughts on this... pz

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    If your throwing them out too the deep water and they are dying there is probably a thermocline. If that is the case there is no oxygen down there and they will meet certain death. It also means there won't be any cats down there.

3. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Congrats to fishergirl. I saw on another site that Patagonia
    has filled to the top , with lots of floating debris. Maybe this will help turn around the fishing. I will be headed that way when this storm system passes.

4. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    pic #35 is of fishergirl & 7 lb flat.
    pic #27 is of what the weather looked like heading up to the lake.

Attached Files:

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Glad to see the pictures.
    It's your turn next.

Regarding the depth: I always try to fish as deep as possible. In the summer time the deeper water has less oxygen, so smaller fish have a tough time. Fish relativly shallow structure during the summer (5 ft- 25ft), and deeper structure during the winter time(20ft- 40ft).

Take care~

6. oz31p

oz31p New Member

State:
    arizona
    as far as "casting" to deep water, its usualy a longer cast, and a hard splat when the gill hits the water, i think that is what kills them, or at least puts them in a bad way.

7. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I agree on the splat theory. I have started running the gills out and dropping them as opposed to casting a long distance. I have found the survival rate is much higher. Its just a pain to do at times. If you dont take or have a boat, I would cut bait them.

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    If the cast is smooth, even with a belly flop, they do alright.. But if you sit a gill in 40+ feet of water during the summer, they won't make it.

If you are using spinning tackle, a simple water baloon launcher to fire the bait out to the right spot will help you get distance without hurting the bait too much.. (Just remember to open the bail.)

9. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Did Patagonia again Mon PM. Got a little wet and had to go ashore for about 30 mins to wait out lightning storm. Caught lots of nice blue gills for bait, but the flatheads woudn't cooperate. About 10 PM channel cats started hitting the gills and I caught a 7lber. The lake is as full as I have ever seen it and it was a beautiful night, so it wasn't a total loss. I think I will catch my personal best on my next trip.

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona

11. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Andy.....I don't know quite how to answer your question. I will tell you that I know a couple of people that have caught a bit bigger fish than my best. However, in the last two years the fishing pressure has increased a lot.
    I think a lot of folks are keeping the fish for food, which I don't do, but that is their choice. However it seems like the flathead fishing is on the decline. The biggest fish we(my wife)caught last year was 40lbs. This year, so far, the biggest has been around 10lbs. I love fishing Patagonia at night, but if it doesn't pick up I am going to have to look for a new spot. Best of luck..........Rick

12. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    Hey AZ flats. Could you please enclose a short video clip of yourself launching a bluegill out to your hole with the water baloon launcher???????????

13. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    where did you and fishergirl go fishing when you caught that

14. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona

I need to..
    I am going on line to buy one right now.. I'm fishing this weekend and will shoot the clip...

You have inspired me to put my idea a reality...:big_smile: :roll_eyes:

15. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Fished Tues and Wed nite. We caught 3 flatheads 12 to 15 lbs. and three 5 to 6 lb channels. Bite was very slow.

16. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice fish thanks for sharing the PICS

17. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    The launcher was a stupid idea... It is much more fun to launch baloons with my new launcher.. Sorry I tried to make it work but it caused everything to get real tangled up.
    Oh well, sounded like a good idea.