patagonia lake trip

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Little Luey, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Well, I made it to patagonia lake this past thrusday. I was targetting bluegills with small artificial lures, I figure since I don't know the lake and not sure what cats are out there or what not. Rented a canoe and started cruizing around the lake looking for a likely spot. it was around 85º when I started fishing, clouds covering the sky and the last few day had been raining (I was told). those are different conditions I am used to fishing in Yuma and I was not sure if the fish, any type of fish, would be active or I could find them.

I was thowing a small crankbait when I got a bite, it didn't feel like a bluegill but I could tell it was a decent size fish. Turns out it was a small channel cat, maybe 2lbs, I never had a cat bite an artificial lure before so i guess that was the highlite of the trip. I managed to land a few gills and a few small bass before the tundering and lightening clouds rolled in and I had to cut the trip short.
    All in all a cool trip.

2. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ

3. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I don't really fish for flatheads, mostly channels when I fish for cats. I spoke to some of the guys at the lake and one other guy mentioned he got a channel on a spinnerbait. And also the biggest bass taken from the lake was 16" only.

I learned a few things on this trip:

1) rowing is a lot of work, not sure I want a canoe now.
    2) I am spoiled by having good places to fish near home.
    3) never really fished on conditions like I saw that day, it was a good challenge.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009