Patagonia 7/15/06

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by anakin, Jul 15, 2006.

1. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Headed to patagonia tonite with fishergirl. See if we can catch use some flats. Keep you brothers posted. pz

2. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i wish you luck and hope you have a great time! keep us posted.

3. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Good luck and don't forget the camera

4. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    good luck, and bring bak some pictures

5. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Caught a few eater channels one being 3# but the flats skunked us. Had one solid run but missed em when i went to set the hook.

I thought i had figured out exactly how to hook gills in order to keep em alive all nite, but quickely realized the gills at this lake werent like the ones at the river & were all dying when i'd hook em threw the back. Even the big ones. Seems like the river gills were alot hardier & could take more abuse. I dont get it. Anyone ever experiance the same prob when using gills from different bodys of water?

p.s. stay tuned for some pics..

6. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Gills are really strange sometimes. I have had them stay alive, and then I have had them all die really fast.

Antonio and I went fishing awhile back at Roosevelt. He had a bunch of gills that had made it for about 2 hours in a big bucket. We put them on the boat with an aerator and a half hour later all but one was dead.

The only suggestion that I can give you is that I usually hook gills through the top of the mouth. I have not had one die yet. Just make sure that if you do it this way, that you don't put the hook too far back as you can put the hook through their brain and kill them.

Just a thought.

7. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    I tried hooking em threw bottom of mouth but still killed em. When you hook threw the top do you go right inbetween/above/below of what looks like their nostrils?

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I hook gills as far back to the tail as possible, but keep the hook tip pointing up.

Cats will swallow the fish head first, so you want your hook in the propper position.

9. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    I hook gills just above the nostrils.

To explain...when fishing a lake, it doesn't seem to really matter where you hook them, so long as they can still breathe and so that the hook doesn't hinder their ability to swim.

In my experience, whenever I hooked a gill behind the dorsal fin or in the tail when river fishing, the dumb thing was dead really fast. The only thing that I could figure was that the fish was getting hit by the current going the wrong way. Having the hook through the mouth while in a body of water with current puts their head facing the current (like nature intended).

As well, when you hook them through the top lip, the hook points upward, creating less of a chance for the fish to snag itself.

Ryan