Passing Boats Making Fish Bite

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by WylieCat, Jan 26, 2006.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Has anyone ever noticed that a passing boat, jet ski, or slapping/jumping of another fish as it is being landed can almost spark other fish to bite?

I can not count the times that I have gotten hits seconds after a fish I am landing jumps, or right before a boat passes by. It is almost like the fish are staging away from the bait and the noise makes them go "oh heck I better eat this before it gets scared away!!".

When there is a lot of boat traffic it is not as noticeable, but on a calm day when an occasionaly boat passed I notice it more.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I have noticed that.....it's strange.

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Yes, over and over again! There have been days that 12 boats went by and I got 12 fish, with little or no bites inbetween! I think the fish know that a certain area will kick up debri on the bottom when a boat goes by and its a mini food fest for a few seconds! If your bait is stirred up along with the other edibles, Fish On!

4. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I've noticed it when river barges pass by.

5. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    as grumpy stated down here on the cumberland i get more hook up right after barge traffic i think the same thing as phillip about stirring up the bottom make the fish turn on the freanzy.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yep, thats what i think it is too! but i have noticed fish turning on when a train rolls by also. there were times when i fished at the "rookie lakes" when nothin was goin on and someone starting their vehicle and driving around would get them stirred up. if you ever ice fish for those hatchery trout in ponds take along a lawnmower! sometimes it will get them going, they think its the "feed truck"!

7. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Not so much w/boats but definettly with barges. I've went nights when we never got a hit unless a barge went by. Kinda strange could have something to do with vibrations in the water?

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Are y'all all fishin' on Rivers when this happens ? I've not been so luckey fishin' on the lakes. Seems the fish may even shut down a bit for me when there is boat traffic.

9. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Yah im fishin the ohio river when i notice

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    For the longes time when some type of boat or PIC would come a little close, I'd cuss'em. Then one day it dawned on me too, geez, almost every time a boat goes by, I get bit. It's unreal, but it happens to often to just be coincidence. I'm resevoir fishing, and this'll happen in 30 to 50 foot deep water(?) I'm a "little" more tolerant of those who buzz me now, specially if I catch a Cat after they go by!

11. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I have noticed fishing at the lake a few times when the bite was slow that the only time I would catch anything was when a boat went by and made a little wake. I just figured it bounced my bait around to make it more attractive to the fish.
    :0a28:

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I havent noticed on lakes, but when Im on the river its like christmas when you see a barge coming. You know your going to get a bite, almost every time.

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I've definetely noticed while fishing my favorite local river that when a barge comes through it triggers bites!

14. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Have to agree with Catfish Fever. I have become more "tolerant":) , unless I take on water, etc.:mad:
    Frank

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Glad to hear I am not nuts.

I kinda wish I was on a body of water with barges!! Sounds like that is the magic ticket. It would be interesting to know what the science is behind why that happens.

16. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I think that when a barge goes by it is pushing a lot of water ahead of it.You can see the water swell on the banks.After they go by there is a lower level of water behind,so you get a undertow pulling all the debris from the shoreline.This is a dinnerbell to the fish.
    Ever watch fish on a stringer after a large boat or barge goes by? They are pulled out from the shoreline almost straight towards the deeper water.Small baitfish and insects caught in this current have the same thing happen to them.It is stronger according to size of the vessel and the displacement of water they cause.
    I have seen this even happen along inlets in the ocean.

BILL

17. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I have noticed this too. IMHO. I think sometimes the cats see the food and do nothing until they hear this barge coming and then hit it and take it before it gets washed away. Seems like they know if I don't take it now it's gonna be gone type thing.

18. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have to go with T-Bone on not on lakes. Maybe tho I am not paying attetion!
    I will from now on tho.
    Bill:)

19. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    I absolutely have noticed that the fish seem to turn on when a boat goes by. I wonder how often shad get "stunned" when a boat goes by? Maybe just a change in the current for the moment gets them going. I used to get mad when a boat would have the whole lake to use and would pass by me doing full speed and now it doesnt bother me nearly as bad. I wonder if the boat rocking when the wake hits makes the baits jerk around more and give it a more attractive presentation?

20. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I have seen it many time and I Think that you have fish that at the time aint feeding. But just the little movement of that bait from a wave will triger them to bite. Just like a bass would hit a moving lure catfish seem to do the seem. When i fish around the airport here just about every airplane will make waves in the water when landing. this will be followed by a fish 90% of the time. So maybe the fish our trigered be just a little movement even when they ain't feeding.