Part of Webbers Falls L&D 16 parking to close

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by tkishkape, Sep 3, 2008.

1. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I unashamedly copied this story here into this thread. The author was not credited, but the story is too important not to be told. All credits for this story remain with the Muskogee Phoenix.

Printed in the Muskogee Phoenix Newspaper this morning, Wednesday, Sept 3, 2008:

"Part Of Webbers Falls parking area to close

A portion of the public parking area below the Webbers Falls Powerhouse will be closed to the public Sept 15 and is expected to remain closed for up to 4 years, according to a media release from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Two contractors will begin work this month, the release stated. The projects were listed as
    • Major rehabilitation of the cranes, turbines and generators. A portion of the public parking area below the Webbers Falls Powerhouse will be closed to the public beginning about September 15 and will remain closed for up to four years. The Area will be fenced to previde a staging area for the construction equipment, materials and contractor facilities. The fenced area will extent approximately 1500 feet from the existing gate to the tin can toilets on the west side of the access road. A four-foot wide corridor will be left between the fence and the guardrail so that the popular fishing area along the river is accessible. A limited amount of parking area will remain downstream of the fenced area. Those desiring to fish closer to the powerhouse must park in this area and use the available corridor.
    • There will also be additional work taking place in this area within the next six weeks. The flood water release earlier this year damaged the existing sidewalks on this same section of riverbank; the walks were undermined and shifted creating hazardous unstable conditions. To eliminate this safety hazard, another contractor will be working in this area with heavy equipment, and the area will be closed to the public for safety reasons. In addition to resolving the safety problems, this work will also improve the angler access to the rip-rap areas. The work should be completed in two to three weeks and anglers will again have access to this area."
    The release sure came at a bad time... just when the skipjack were running!

2. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    My favorite fishing hole!!!
    Although you wouldn't know it , the last few years i have neglected her..

I need to get down there soon , there is always the boat and some drifting...

My favorite spot is under the high line wires, for some relaxing shore fishing...

How about a fishing report:big_smile:
    Maybe i should take off during the week and go slay 'em

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I'll be glad to post a fishin report... but first I figgure I gotta go fishin.

I was fishing there day before yestiddy... report for then is sad...

The catfish were afflicted by lockjaw. The only thin bitin wuz the skippies. if they warent there, I'duh had to go home early.

Stay tuned... more comin after I get muh bote inna river...:confused2:

4. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thanks...
    The last time i was there it was flooded and i guess washed all the bait fish way down stream..
    That was a couple months ago....
    I guess i can go there and if they aint bitin i can go to eufaula dam

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Well, I tried today... put in at Sommers Ferry. No shad for first two casts, then a netfull of baby blue cats. After cleaning out the net, I tried again. two casts later, the net was hung on a submerged tree. One tug and the net is useless until I sew it up again.

There was some DK's and some Secret 7 in the boat, so I stayed out a little longer. 2 hours later, Secret 7 scored 4, DK's scored 1. Biggest was 10 inches, smallest was 6.

Hey, what? Even a bad day's fishin is better than... I forget...:eek:oooh:

6. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    That is pretty good!!!
    You measure cats across the EYEBALLS right:smile2:

wife took the MC to work this morning. thinking about taking the corolla to webber this morning