Part of a fish research team

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by bigpapa15206, Oct 18, 2005.

1. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    I have recently been chosen to help collect samples (channel and white bass) from the three rivers area. the fish will be studied fro heavy metals and estrogen levels. I also need to find people that have been eating fish out of the three rivers area, so if you are one of them PM for more info. I need to know some good channel and white bass spots on the Mon and Ohio river.

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You need to head up to the beaver river Phil lot's of fish in thier. Phil how did you get picked for this one. Trying to suck up to the conservation officers?

3. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    right place at the right time
    I recently introduced a friend of mine to my "home away from home" and one day after i left he stayed a little longer and a bunch of reserchers came down and were asking him a bunch of questions and needed 50 channel cat and 50 white bass samples to research. They believe the estregen levels are so high that they are causing male fish to develop female gonads and that peolpe who eatalot of fish from the river may develop cancer later in life. Well he told them that i was the local "expert" so to speak.

4. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That been thought for sometime know. I have read a couple write up's on that. Well I can help you catch them lol. Are we gonna try and hook up this weekend?

5. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

we are probably all experts,seem like we search and research and search
    every day,then start the whole process of searching and searching again.
    KIRK :happy:

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    There was an awful lot of bad crap dumped into the 3 River System over the last hundred years or so. The water has cleaned up immensely (hense the 2005 Bass Master's Classic) but who knows what kinda stuff still sits on the river bottom. I personally would never eat a fish that came from the Allegheny River anywhere below Lock & Dam #5. There is still a lot of mine acid drainage plus that nuclear plant up at Apollo buried all kinds of hazardous stuff in the ground which leached into the Kiski River and then into the Allegheny above Freeport. If I'm gonna eat a fish from the Allegheny it's coming from the much cleaner water upstream. I guess our generation is still paying the price for what our ancestor's did to these awesome waterway's! :sad:

7. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    yeh it is a shame what has been done to pur rivers over the years. imagen the fishing if they were as clean as they should naturally be! Yeh one of the scientist told me that the channels were probly the cleanest fish to eat from the Allegheny and the walleye were the least clean.

8. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey Papa what are you doing on Monday I got the day off LET'S FISH.

9. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    dont know yet, probably working. I have been goin out alot latley and have beed crushing flats at my spot. I have been going from 6pm-10pm and averaging 6 flats a night! usually 15-30#ers! mostly on white bass.

10. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
  11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Wally - Thanks for the post. The newspaper article was very interesting. It reinforces my feelings about not eating fish from the lower part of the Allegheny. Why take the chance?

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Hey Wally - What the heck are you doin' living in Texas? Just kidding! :) Seems like Pittsburgers are everywhere around the country. No matter where the Steelers play there is always a large number of fans wearing the black & gold. We crushed them Bungles yesterday! Here we go Steelers!

13. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    yeh i was there earlier that day and my buddy Paul caruso (fishnfella) told them about me and we went out the next tue And that Dr. Volz was there and told me a lot of interesting things about the water. He said the channels are the cleanest fish to eat.

14. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Scott,
    I graduated HS in 1977, ate lunch at Jardiean's, and joined the Air Force. THEY SENT ME HERE.
    After 4 years of that mess, I got a job "Civil Service" doing the same job, firefighter, at the same place, for 'bout double the money. Relizing' that is the time ALL the mills were shutting down, I thought I made a pretty good move. 4 years from now I'll be 50 and can retire with one of them BIG GOVERNMENT pentions. Not too bad a deal if ya can get it. BUT...

The 'Burgh will ALWAYS be HOME!!!

Love the Steelers, Pirates, and the Pens!!

15. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    Do you still use the word "yinz" lol. I love my Pixburgh accent.

16. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    wally were did you used to fish in the burgh?

17. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Wally- Sounds like you done well for yourself. Good jobs are tough to find in the Pittsburgh area. Retiring at age 50! Wow, that would be sweet! Lot's of time to go fishing while still in the prime of your life. Are you near the lake where the world record Blue Cat was caught last year? What a monster that fish was!

18. huskyjerk#12

huskyjerk#12 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    I think we should get a group togeher to help out on the process of cleaning the river's even if it was little stuff like on shore trash its a start!