Parking Boats in backyard

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by tntitans21399, Jan 28, 2009.

1. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am about to buy a house and it is on a corner street and the back yard has just your normal chain link, about 4 feet (whichever is normal height), and I am trying to think of a good way to park my trailers back their and keep them safe. It is a some what safe area, but then also if you see something then it might be temping so I was trying to think of something to add a little more security to them. I have a 16ft bass boat, 16 ft open trailer, and a 4 ft lawn mower/bike trailer.

I was curious on what others have done, if just the plan chain link has been enough. I am thinking about building a 6-8ft privacy wooden fence and that would be about $1,200 if I build it myself. I will most likely do that, but I was just trying to get some other ideas too.

I'll add a pic of the back yard & fence right now that I will most likely take down.

Also I have been parking in the back yard just in the grass in the past at my current house, but I wonder if it is better for the tires to sit on gravel instead? To help the tires last longer, keeping them from dry rotting. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Maybe go with one of them car-port deals, not sure what they are called, around here you can get a two car size for $700 just the roof, but the full dress out with roll up door (here) would run ya about what your fence is/ I remember correctly the one my uncle just put up was just at $1100 for all, they are all aluminum with an 8' roll up door. you can finish them out pretty cheap also if desired. any just my thought, would keep everything out of weather and at worst make someone break into it to get to anything...... think it is either a Carolina or Coast to Coast brand, any way similar to one of these...

Attached Files:

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Best thing for the tires is to shield em from the sunlight when they ain't being driven. Tires that are driven on flex and it keeps em from gettin cracked in the sun. As far as the fence goes, a higher fence is gonna discourage more people, and one they can't see thru helps more.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    If ya can't afford a high privacy fence then a couple other things may help... a big mean dog:smile2: and/or put a couple concrete footings where your gonna park the boat. This can be done cheap, dig a couple 3 foot holes about 2X2 feet wide. Fill with concrete and add large eye bolts into it before it dries 1/2 or 3/4 inch. Then you can chain and padlock your trailer to them on each side and it gives you a hard concrete pad under each wheel to help prevent tire dry rot.

5. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    I've got a piece of 1 1/4x3/16 x 6' flat stock with a piece of round welded to one end and a hole for a padlock on the other end i run this thru the spokes on the trailor wheels and lock it. The wheels will only rotate about 1/2 turn,. then the steel hits the trailor locking up both wheels.IF nobody knows it there it very effective. works for me!

6. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    make sure you take it off before trying to go fish'n it will leave ruts in the yard ....

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    and don't forget a good lock for your motor, last spring i had my 40 HP mariner stolen off the back of my boat, my cables were cut including the steering cable and motor was gone, now i have 2 different padlocks on the clamps which hold it to the transom, i learned the hard way:confused2:
    i also changed the lock on my trailer to a straight pin lock which can't be cut easily, and lock a golf ball in the tongue where the ball gets locked in

8. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    a motion censer light, a video surveillance camera, and a 44 mag:wink:

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Buy in a better neighborhood. I leave my house unlocked for days when I head out fishing. Hasn't been broken into yet. Just goes with the class of people around you. Not necessarily your neighbors, but the general population.

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    thats what i thought too, my boat was parked in a roural farmland amish community, never had a problem in 7 years, the guy that stole my motor was from another county and stole 40-50 other boat motors over a 6 month period, when he was caught he had 25 motors at his home, never let your guard down

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    My theory is this. If a thief wants it bad enough their gonna get it no matter what.You all have some good ideas but face it guys .All locks do is keep a honest person honest.Don't think there's a lock out there that will completely stop a thief.Just slow them down a bit. Now a good Doberman,or Pit Bull trained right can be very effective. Even a well trained mutt can do wonders.
    How about a wild life camera set up to take pictures.Better chance of seeing who the thief is.Just don't tell (ANYONE) even best friends where you have it setup.Best of luck in your new home.looks great.

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Not much to add,But if I was gonna put any kind of privacy fence up,IT wouldnt be WOOD. A steel framed sheet iron fence with the panels facing outward,no cap trim on top. Will keep anyone but the very most determined out.:wink:

13. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    These are all good ideas if you go with a fence only get a large dog chain and food and water dish also large and build a leanto type shelter large then put up a beware of dog sign on each side of fence don't worry about buying a dog most theves ain't gonna ask about the dog when they see the rest

14. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    brother i just moved from memphis tn to whiteville tn.memphis was bad but out here its pretty nice in the country no worries good luck

15. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Or maybe you just get a better class of thieves.:smile2: