Park Service

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by corklabus, Jan 23, 2009.

1. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Any body know anything about the restoration stuff going on at Nutallburg on New River ? I hear they are opening another visiter center or something. Been all over the news lately and I've been wondering just how the access is going to be accomplished.......especially from the Summersville side of the River. I heard that they had re-opened the road to the river from Winona, but haven't been able to get down to check it out yet.
    Have heard many stories from the old folks around here that 100 pound catfish were taken out of that area frequently many years ago. I figured that might have been due to a lot of trash getting into the river from the mining community. But then again, since access has been very limited for many years, just maybe there could be some big'uns still hangin' around down there.

2. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Well......guess nobody was interested in that.
    Maybe I just got me a private spot.

Yeah,......right....

3. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Decided to drive down and investigate this over the weekend. Iwas told the road was NOT gated off.

WRONG !!

There is Now a brand new gate acrross the road at the Park Service boundary. Meaning that there is at least a 1,000 ft walk in to gain river access for fishing and only from the bank, unless you have one of those rubber raft fishing boat things and are qualified to float the white water.
    However.......I do see some privacy advantages to such a spot that years ago was known to produce hundred pound catfish. This area is now mostly fished by rafting guides for Bass and very little else.

Well......there you have it if anyone's interested.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have a spot round this way that is similar.
    I always cuss it(On the way out. Uphill. After a long day.) but truth is the walk weeds out alot of folk I would not care to share a bank with.

Shoot, the walk just plain weeds out a lot of folk in general. Not a bad thing. And I can use the exercise anyway.:wink:

5. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    When it comes to fishin', My wife hangs onto me like she's got me on a choker chain. She couldn't make the walk because of her arthitis, so I figured I'd give up the spot to anyone who might be able to make good use of it.

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for the good information, Cecil.

I also agree with Lawrence...the state (or feds) often get involved creating access to areas that some fishermen would rather be left alone! I'll never forgive them for putting a hugh fishing pier on the Blackwater River on a spot near Camp 40 east of Davis where I loved to fish. This little spot on the river was pristine, but never produced too many large fish unless you knew where to find them. Now, it's pretty much fished out, and this eyesore of a contraption can be seen from both approaches along the road.

What's so crazy about it is that the feds (I believe, in this case) poured untold thousands into this fishing pier project, while the five-mile dirt road along the river is often nearly restricted to four-wheel drive vehicles. Go figure! :confused2:

7. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Since when have the Feds or WV local Government ever did anything right.
    Kanawha Falls used to be an awesome place when I was around 16 until the built that walkway/fishing access.Since then the fishing has been subpar unless you boat out to the far side of the falls.When it was just rock strewn bank the walleye were numerous as were the catfish.

8. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I don't know what to think of the situation at Kanawha Falls. My son seems to do okay there when he goes there. I thought it was okay when they built the fishing pier because it gave my wife easy access even though she never catches anything bigger than guppies anyway. What really fried my tail was that they lock the gate to the parking area in the evening. You either parked outside the gate or got stuck there until morning IF they decided to unlock the thing.
    I've been wondering about the boat across deal, but that goes back to the getting locked in thing. I really would like to find a put in spot ABOVE the dam and fish there. That's one heck of a big deep pool. There IS a nasty place right near the State Police station, but I wouldn't risk putting my boat in there because it's a bend around drop in that appears to be pretty well washed out.....especially below the water line.....might not be able to pull back out even with big 4x4. I've thought about going up the Gauley River to the public access put-in, but I don't know if it's possible to get the boat back down to the Kanawha and then back up the Gauley for pull out. I haven't been able to talk to anybody who knows about that. The only other put-in I can think of is way up River on the New River at the camp ground, but I KNOW there's a heck of a bunch of big rocks up in that area. I really need to go see those camp ground people about that, but I hardly ever see any boats fishing where I want to get to.

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Mine could not care less about it. Tried and tried to get her interested but it is just not her thing.

She does love to eat them though.

10. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Sometimes it just takes another fisherWOMAN to get a woman interested.
    I guess the biggest hang up for them is they always gotta pee and are "supposedly" too shy to just hang it over the side like everybody else. Afraid somebody might take a peek at 'em. Like who CARES ?? we ALL gotta do it sometime..........

11. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I understand the need for the handicap access its just they need to use better planning to impact the wildlife less.I have never been locked in at the falls and have fished there a few times till way past midnight.

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I DO Cecil. If I'm not watching my poles I'm looking around trying to see some woman PEEING. I always have my binoculars with me for just that reason. It's great ENTERTAINMENT! :dribble: Sure beats roll'n rocks down the bank, and makes less noise too. :canny:

13. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Man....I got a lot of fetishes, but lookin up somebodys' whizzer sure ain't one of 'em. :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

I sure needed the laugh though. Today has been a real PAIN.