Parents a bit paranoid about eating catfish

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by field989, May 14, 2007.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well i like catfish alot... well my parents dont like me eating em... i was planning on keeping some fish out of the wabash river if we cought any but they were like lecturing(SP) me about it and how bad it is and stuff...

i like eating catfish alot but what should i do to convince my parents on letting me eat it?

Thanks

Jeff

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Im concerned about the eating advisories myself and to be honest I only fish in areas that are not on the list. Check with the fish commission and they can provide a list of whats safe & not safe to eat and how much to eat of whats not safe before you start growing extra bady parts from contaminated fish. If your water isnt on the list you shouldnt have anything to worry about. also keep the little ones throw the big ones back. they bigger they are the more toxins they've got stored in their bodies.

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Depends on why they are concerned?? Is it cause of polution or contamination in the water? Is it cause they dont want you killing stuff? Is it cause they dont eat meat at all?? I guess it just depends on the reasons they dont want you to eat it.

4. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well they are worried about the contaminants in the fish

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Then i would get on the DNR website, and see what it says about the fish in there...It should give you a table of how much you should eat in a monthly period...If it is okay, show them that info

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Show them the chemicals used to treat drinking water:smile2:

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Well Jeff, I don't know what to say exactly. Mark's reply was pretty darn good, 'cause that's TRUE. As for ME, (at least in my area), I'd rather eat some fresh caught catfish than any of that farm-raised crap you get at a restaurant or grocery store. Never knew I even LIKED catfish until I got a taste of the GOOD ones. All that stuff tastes like DIRT/MUD to me. But yes, there are pollutants in the water in some areas, so I suppose you have to be careful.

8. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have always been told not to eat to many of them but my waters and your waters are alot different. we eat fish about once ever two weeks or so and i have two kids that are 3 and 4 and they like fish more then i do. with that beind said i always turn the 3 eyed ones and the ones that glow green back..just to be safe lol. you know it bad now that we have to worry about eating fish that comes from our rivers and lakes.