PARASITE EEL

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Im not sure what it is, but Jeremy (Big Kane) and i went fishing this afternoon for a few hours. We didnt Catch much, but on the one drum Kane Caught it had a creature tagging along on its side. I have never seen anything like it before. it looked like an eel, but had a cookie cutter type of sucker on it. it feel right off and left a sore on the fish. we released the drum, but kept the eel parasite looking thing. figured we would freeze it and investigate. if it is a new invasive species best to have the thing to turn over to the DNR, if not then we are just uninformed on what it is and one more parasite is dead. in the picture i am holding it with regular size pair of needle nose pliers, i would think it to be 8-10 inches in length. it kept getting close to biting me and i wasn't in the mood for that...

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      21.8 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      23.6 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      37 KB
      Views:
  2. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Few more pics....

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      30.9 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      27 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Looks like bait.....:eek:oooh::smile2:

4. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    it almost was, but we were finishing up and wanted to check into it a bit...

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
  6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I saw a movie with them in it once,,,that was a baby, they get big as school buses....:eek:oooh::crazy::smile2:

Seriously though, never pulled anything in like that. Wicked mean looking!
    You know me, I would use it for bait once you find out more about it...:smile2: Was it in the Big Sandy?

7. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yup sure was, it was down by the bridge....

Kane just called and said that he took some water out of a fishtank and put it in a container and it came to life again. its been out of the water for 2 hours at least...

are they common in KY waters then i wonder, because Kane found the same answer online and it says they aren't.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
  9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yessir, a lamprey is what it is.

Bill in SC

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I've heard of them but had never seen one.
    I say cut it up for bait Thursday....:roll_eyes::smile2: It oughta be good for that, lots of blood in it.:cool2:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Heck cut it up !!! use that sucker hole!!:wink::smile2::smile2: Looks like flathead or blue bait to me. put it under a float just off bottom,:wink:

12. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
  13. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Nice to know they're in Ky. The first one my wife found on the net, I think was called a Sea Lamprey, and they're located around the great lakes. It sure is a freak of nature.

14. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Around the 3rd week of march they swim up from Green river into our creeks and nest for a couple of weeks the old timers call em lampreels.I have used them for bait since I was a kid my Dad did the same and showed them to me.They make excellant bait for bass and catfish.You can hook one through the tail and he will stay alive and frisky for hours.
    I have never heard of anyone from other counties talk of them coming up and nesting but they do in this area.

15. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I just wanted to add that the ones we catch are around half the size of the one you have a picture of.

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  17. BigDarrin

BigDarrin New Member

State:
    KY
    Its a good thing I wasnt with you guys. I would have been hiding behind somebody squeelin like a 10 yr old school girl.. That thing freaks me out..I could just picture me Kane and Jeremy all on the river bank and me behind Jeremy wrapped around his leg peeking around like a kid....LOL

18. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thats quite the picture...im not going to lie, i didnt want to touch the dang thing, thats why i used the needle nose...everytime i would try it would whip around and i didnt want it to bite me....

19. festus

festus New Member

Yep, that's a derned old lamprey eel. I thought they were on the list of banned species of fish to import into Tennessee, but I didn't see their name in the TN Fishing Guide. The only place I ever seen one was at the Chattanooga aquarium.

I recall several years ago that lamprey eels are excellent bait for a certain species of fish I cannot think of right now. It could have been striper, muskie, or lake trout, but I imagine anything big enough to swallow one would eat it.