PAPABEAR's Pontoon Boat Mods

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by papabear108, Mar 12, 2009.

1. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey all,
    This here be a rednek's guide too modifying a pontoon boat with no drill or permanent mods. (do ya like the way I started this off?:wink:)

Seriously, my father has a pontoon boat and allows me to use it for catfishing. As soon as I have the money for my own boat I will set it up BOC style, but until then my father said I could mod his boat with as long as there were no permanent modifications. He still wants to be able to take the family out for skiing and lounging. So I can't drill, weld, etc. etc.

Well my first challenge was to make rod holders. Pay attention here's where the redneck in me came out for a visit. I took 2" pvc and cut it to 18"lengths. then I took a scrap piece of 2x12 and made 6.5" triangles. I used what I have learned here at the BOC to mount the pvc to the triangle. I made the triangle 6.5" because that is the height of the railing on the front of the pontoon boat. I drilled three holes along the vertical side of the triangle so now I can zip tie the pole holder to the vertical supports of the railing. Presto chango removable 45 degree rod holders. (note: I have pictures but my camera broke. As soon as I can get them uploaded I will submit them for your viewing pleasure) Next project is rod holders for transport. Easy. I piece of 1/4' decking cut to 2 feet. Same width as the side doors on the boat. Holes drilled for zip ties and then mount 2" pvc 12" long vertically to the decking. Made two of these for the two doors and 6 of my fishing rod holders for the boat. 1 Large bag of zip ties and I am set.:cool2:

Brian "BEAR" Lantz

P.S. total cost of my modifications. 5$ and 5 hours. Scrap lumber and screws used. Zip ties already owned.

2. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    sometimes that knot on top of our red necks comes up with some pretty amazing stuff whatever it takes to get the job done

3. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    :smile2:AMEN brother:smile2:

4. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    bear, hope you get the camera fixed soon, would like to see pic of your handy-work. Get great ideas by looking at other peoples designs

5. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    okay, I think I got my camera fixed I hope this works:wink:

Attached Files:

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Looks good. I'll have to make me some for my 'toon. Thanks for the idea. If I every have a good idea you can steal it.:smile2:

7. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the compliment but I have to be honest, I learned more from catfish1.com than I could imagine. :wink:I am serious, if it wasn't for this site I would never have thought to create the mod. Thanks again. I hope to do more creative thinking for the benefit of my catishin brothers.:cool2: