Panty Hose for chicken livers

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Tinybaum, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Tinybaum

Tinybaum New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I read a thread about panty hose for livers. I would like to hear from some people that use it, and what their thoughts on it are. To me I feel that the fish feels the hose and drops it. Let me know your thoughts.

Tiny

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Stephen you are going to get both Pro and Con answers on this question. I prepare my livers with salt and garlic. I sometimes use hose. I can't tell any difference. I prefer to cure my livers and use one treble hook with the liver on the shaft of the hook. If you use a snap swivel you can have hooks made up and ready to interchange fast.:smile2:

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I don;t get to fish much any more.I used panty hose for years when you could get the "No run" kind.I always bought the 'Queen" size as you got more for your money.I cain;t find it any more.I now purchase the "Wedding veil" material.I used it for cut bait from shad or mullet as they are very soft after freezing.They also work great for the fish guts that you normally discard.I have froze mine in cheap plastic Ice trays in a old "bait"freezer,pop them out when froze and put them in a Ziplock and back in the freezer.They don;t dry out as quick this way.I leave them froze in a cooler and put them in a pre cut square,fold up the corners,run a hook through the 4 coiners and fish them like that at times.When they were realy biting,I have caught fish that hit it when it first hit the water and still froze.I always soaked all of my material in a soapy solution made from Ivory soap and rinsed it well and repeatedly with any natural water.No city water with chlorine!I did and do the same with the mesh I get now.I think there is some type of smell left from manufacturing that fish don;t like.When fish are really feeding,they will bite most anything.When they ain;t,most anything will interfere with your chances,including bait bags made of most anything.With soft bait,trot lines,limb lines,small fish and fast current are just about imposable to fish bag-less.It is bags or firmer bait.They also worked well for me in saltwater at times,both inshore and fishing the artificial reefs offshore.They are just like your other gear.They have their time and place.Trout and Salmon fishermen have used them for years to hold fish eggs.Some days they work great for them and sometimes they won;t touch them the next.A few precut squares can save the day at times.It is cheap and doesn;t take up much room.I have also caught fish on sponge pieces and fish oil.Very messy!I guess it is like the dip and other store bought baits.I have never had any luck with any of it,in South Georgia ponds,rivers or salt water,yet many swear by it in other locations.The same go's for many other baits and rigs.Hope this helps.I ain;t very smart but I do have 62 years worth of experience.I ought to.I have spent a fortune in money and time trying new and different things in my life.I have many things that I would not do or try again!I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have used both and never seen a big difference with or without panty hose i have also used mesh netting which also work pretty good

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I started using pantyhose for cheese baits when fishing for trout in Colorado.I consider myself an expert on panty hose so here are some tips.ALWAYS make sure the original owner is not still in the pantyhose you are using.:smile2::big_smile:Otherwise your casting distance will be severely dimished, usually in direct proportion to the size of the pantyhose.Queen size you wont even get out of the boat, and you risk damaging even an Ugly Stick!:big_smile::cool2:Never use preworn pantyhose as to much scent will remain no matter how many times you wash them.Just buy some cheap new ones and keep the receipt to prove that you ARENT using your true loves.:smile2::eek:oooh::big_smile:When she sees you cutting up the pantyhose into patches and asks whose pantyhose are they DONT panic.:eek:oooh:Just say they are from your girlfriend,secretary,mistress etc.No woman will believe that a stinky smelly slime covered catfisherman like you could get that lucky HAHAHAHAHAHA or they wont care as long as they arent theirs!!!!:big_smile::cool2:

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    cheese cloth, cheese cloth, cheese cloth. works great and the kitties hold onto it better.

7. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    A friend of mine just uses some sewing string and wraps it around the liver while on the hook. His livers stays on pretty good, especially if we are bank fishing he can get the bait out there pretty far with the string holding the liver together.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    My personal experience I had less sucess using the pantyhose trick. However I only tried a few times maybe not enough to get an accurate gauge. You can also use that plastic netting material that the grocery stores use for example when you buy a bag of onions or some other vegetable its usually red. This is free and holds the liver pretty well in place. :wink:

9. puck55

puck55 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i totally agree with SGT!!!! they hold on long enough to start a fight

10. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Peewee is right on track with the wedding veil idea. Onion bag material works well, and so does sheer curtains or cheesecloth.

I never, ever use pantyhose.

I've had crappie, and even catfish, bite right through the pantyhose and grab the bait (especially liver). Now, try to get that horrendous panty hose back over the barb to reuse that hook...

C',mon...keep trying...

All right. Throw the hook away (along with the piece of panty hose) and grab a new one...:crazy:

11. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    joel nailed it as well. i have reeled in my bait when using panty hose to find and empty bait sack and never even got a bite (so i could tell). i have heard that the channels will pick them up, crush them and sqeeze all of the goodies out, and then drop them with out so much as a twitch of the rod tip. with cheese cloth they will holdd on better for some reason. i have an uncle-in-law (figure that one out) who gave me a good idea. he uses an old pair of socks, splits the top and pulls out the elastic string. he then wraps the elastic string around the liver. it stays on the hook pretty well and the cats dont seem to be able to tell its on there. hope this helps a little.

12. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Where do you buy your cheese cloth? I tried it many years ago but the way it was wove it just wanted to disintegrate after it was cut and you tried to use it.Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

13. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I haven't tried it though I think rolled gause would work as well if not better than cheese cloth.

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It will,but I found it expensive to buy enough to use very much.Do you or anyone else happen to know of a cheap source? Perhaps a type besides the medical quality?Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    For those who go to a place of employment daily, just raid the first aid cabinet. There is at least one roll in every one, heck they usually get refilled every month also.

16. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Please don;t do that!Any time you use anything out of a first aid kit,please see to it that it is replaced.First aid means just that.There is nothing worse than having someone badly injured and have what you need missing out of the first aid kit.I was a trained first responder for 40 years.It has happened to me several times.A band aid is one thing,but gauze can save a life.I would have wrote you a private message,but then others have read your message.We do these things because we don;t know how important they can be.It can cause you a lot of heartache and guilt if is needed suddenly and you are the reason it is not there.I don;t believe that you should ever hurt some one accidentally if you can help it.I believe that if you got to do it,make sure it is deliberate.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

17. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    Mickey, are you molding the chicken liver onto the hook and then curing it. Also what size trbles are you using for your terminal rig?

18. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Check out those bath sponges that are made of netting looks like the perfect material and cheap too. Only 88 cents in my local grocery store. Once unraveled will be about 6' long good enough to make about 20 bait time you cut and tie it.

19. tryin2learn

tryin2learn New Member

State:
    missouri
    i always use panty hose it just works great for me

20. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    JUST MAKE SURE OF YOUR states laws on the use/aid of this type, it is illegal in some states to use liver in a "bag"