Panfish amongst beast. Downsized and struck fishing gold!

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by C_wernett, Jan 29, 2006.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, as my Sat (Jan 28th), turned out to be quite a decent day. We hunted down a couple of bruiser channel cats, a pair of nice carp...and then while attempting to nab a couple more carp, we started getting odd hits, so I downsized my gear and started hitting some really nice shellcrackers....they were hitting entire 'crawlers about a bridge piling..I let go three before I realized that I was into them and brought home a few for supper...

Attached Files:

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    congrats on getting into some nice fish

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :eek:
    "Those are some nice size Bluegills" - "Now I know that I have to get out on the water "SOON"! (LOL:happy: )

Thanks for sharing

Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Nice bream, there's definitely nothing wrong with catching some nice bream.:)

5. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Is that called a mini-slam? Cats, carp, and bream in one trip. Gotta love it. Congrats to you guys.

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Very nice! I need to hit my favorite panfish hole soon! Thanks for the motivation!

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I love getting into nice slab shellcracker. Nice catch and good eatin'.
    What time is supper?

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i have been told that the only dumb question is the one that wasn't asked
    so is a bream , a shell cracker ,and a blue gill one in the same???
    by the way those are nice sized ones . those would feel good on the end
    of my quantum U.L. set up thanks for shareing those pic.s yeah bert
    i need to go panfishin too.

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, we did also catch one little largemouth in the mix too, not to mention some true 'gills. One that was as big as those shellies but was the first one and we let it go. My buddy caught it on a little swim bait! The rest were just little guys...So for the day we caught: Cats, carp, 'gills, shellies, and a bass...I

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    The cabin fever worse! Bet that was a gas!
    Bill

11. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    When do shellcrackers bed up? Same time as gills or what?

12. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm not sure down here. Back in Iowa all the sunfish seemed to bed at the same times depending on the water temps in the body of water they are living in. I haven't noticed here yet, as I haven't found a body of water with the spawning flats like most areas have back in Iowa, but I would presume that they do...as I've caught mixed bags of bull bluegills and shellies around the same time of year on certain bodies of water.

13. slab1

slab1 New Member

State:
    texas
    nice catch!!! yes winter is a good time for bream. me and my oldest son went last thursday and had a nice catch for dinner. went for crappie, they were not on, so we did the next thing bream.

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    nice slabs there brother! wtg

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

Yes they are the same, so to speak. Of course sometimes we call a green sunfish a bluegill, sometimes a warmouth is a rockbass is a bluegill, is a Oh heck, what are they in Missouri?

Good question Darryl. We all call them what our Grandads called them which lends to cultural and geographical colloquiallisms or we all come from different areas and you can tell the difference between a Michigan fisherman and a North Carolina fisherman. (One won't fish during the OSU Michigan game, and the other during the Duke NC Mens Basketball game) ;)

16. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    I'll tell you, behind big blues at Santee, Shellcrackers are my favorite. I've caught them 2+ lbs in the Fall. Man, they're the best. In SC, they're bedding on the full moon April through June.