Pamunkey and Mattoponi Rivers in Virginia

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Brewdog, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Brewdog

Brewdog New Member

State:
    Virginia
    New to forum. I live between the Pamunkey and Mattoponi in King William. What is the native bait fish for any cat in these two rivers?

Brewdog

2. mattaponicat74

mattaponicat74 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome Brewdog!.I am also a newcomer to the BOC. I Fish the mattaponi at least 3 times a week and i find that between febuary til the end of may herring,hickory shad and gizzard shad work great, herring working the best for me. The summertime months i swith to live bream or stiffback perch, cut eel or cut menhaden , using fresh bait whever possible. Hope this was a little help.

3. Brewdog

Brewdog New Member

State:
    Virginia
    That does help. I may have to get with you sometime to drink some coffee and pick your brain a bit. Thanks again!

4. mattaponicat74

mattaponicat74 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Glad to be of some help.....this has got to be the best website on catfishing. I just started catfishing hard last year and these guys on here have really taught me some good stuff!! Went out this morning without much success but saturday me and a frien won the walkerton catfish tourney with the 3 fish heaviest weight....what a day!! Let me know if i can be of any other help.

5. Brewdog

Brewdog New Member

State:
    Virginia
    thanks mattcat and congrats on the win! I was planning to attend the tourney, but been soooo busy! I hope to catch up with you sometime , meet and shoot the breeze or maybe even teach a worm how to swim! I am somewhat of a novice fisherman so it would be a vary plasurable experience to meet you and pick your brain. Thanks again.

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Welcome Brewdog,

This is a great place to find knowledge on catfishing. I have never fished either of the rivers, but wanted to know if there is bank access to either one, I would love to try 'em, since I have heard good things about 'em. Thanks.

7. Brewdog

Brewdog New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The Pamunkey can be accessed on 360 between the bridges or at the end of Pampatike road.

Mattaponi can be accessed in Aylett behind the Church on 600. there is a boat launch there or at Walkerton off of 30.

8. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks for the info Brewdog.

9. Brewdog

Brewdog New Member

State:
    Virginia
    not a problem rebcat, maybe i'll see you and matcat down on the river one day

10. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Ya, that would be nice. If I get the chance to go, I will post.

11. flemflamman

flemflamman New Member

State:
    va
    Doing any good down there?

What is left in the river right now? Have the spawn runs ended and most of the stiper, perch,shad, herring left? Believe I'll wait till end of june to start trying my luck

12. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey guys, I usually fish the Rappahanock around Fredericksburg and Port Royal, but when I'm searching for the "fat boys" the Mattaponi is the spot. Do you put in at Walkerton or further up usually? How big were your tourney fish?

13. flemflamman

flemflamman New Member

State:
    va
    Looking to visit this week and just wondered how the bite was? Anybody doing any good?

I usually fish closer to the York however Im going to put in around Walkerton. Any action from that stretch?

Thanks for the tips