1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Not sure it matters, but I always bring it to the bottom, so it cinches down onto itself instead of the shank of the hook. I never used this know till I started using braid, now I trust it enough to use it on braid or mono and would use no other knot. Of course, there are times for the UNI knot. LOL

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I also only use this knot. I have heard that in some cases the hook is presented differently based on where you start the line thru the hook with the point facing you or not. I will show you what I mean some time Keith just remind me when were out on the lake.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I taught myself the improved cinch knot forty yrs ago and was happy with
it for over twenty years. Tested it against the Trilene knot and changed
my habits. Where you grab the loop and take it around the hook is where
you lose me on the Palomar knot. It looks to be a lot simpler to tie than
my favorites, but I don't feel the need to change again since I don't see
a significant advantage in the performance of the knot versus the Trilene
knot. Homer Circle wrote an article years ago about this time of year
when the ice was going out slow and told everybody that his testing
different knots in his kitchen just showed he had cabin fever bad. I never
contradict Uncle Homer, I just nod my head and hope I look wise.

·
Banned
3,543 Posts
Top of the eye for me. This is the only knot I use. A fishing show on Versus TV had a segment every week called knot wars. They started with one knot and tested it against another head to head each week. They used breaking strength and slippage to determine the winner. Every week the winning knot moved on. The Palomar knot won hands down on every kind of line, mono, flouro, and braid. The Trilene knot was excellent with mono line but slipped very easy with super lines. They also said send them an email if you have a knot you think can beat the Palomar.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I use this knot all the time. I tie to the top of the eye and not around the shank. I have never had this knot to fail. It is the strongest knot I have ever used. I read one time that the Palomar knot is recommended for lines over 14lb. test. I use the cinch knot for lines under 14#

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.