Painting jon boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by catpound, Jun 18, 2007.

1. catpound

catpound New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am stuck on what kind of paint to use. I dont want to spend a ton of money but want the paint to last for a little while. I've heard so many different things but i'm considering using some rustoleom paint. Even though its aluminum its the best stuff i've ever used. Basically I want to do the best job for the least amount of money.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Well I have to recomend the Eco-Safe in the AQ fromula even if it is 86 dollars a gallon.
    2 gallons will give me 22 coats on the bottom 2/3's of my pontoons. It goes on thin but builds up with multiple layers. It dries super fast and takes a week to fully cure.

I had a wire brush on mine the other night showing how durable it is to someone else. A wire brush didnt phase the coating, The hazy spot it left behind can be buffed out.
    It goes on with a shine to it and can be buffed to deeper shine.
    The self etching primer is what is expensive if you dont buy by the gallon and have the ability to spray it. It aint worth sinking a plug nickel into if you dont prep aluminum right. Something that is durable is going to cost probally more then what you are thinking about spending.

3. catpound

catpound New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks mark, it is sounds like it would probably be well worth the extra few dollars. Is this something that I can search for and order somewhere off the internet? Really appreciate the advice.

4. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    im doing the exact same thing

your gonna wanna buy some primer first, me and my dad went out to home depot, its called Rust-Olem latex primer for aluminum and galvinized metal.... i believe it was 7 bucks at home depot...... paints about the same price too

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    We painted some aluminum stuff in the Air Force, and used zinc chromate for a primer, after sandblasting off every bit of the original paint. After that, we just used a good quality enamel.

6. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    In my line of work we paint a lot of aluminium. After all the old paint is remove we wash every thing down with vinagar ( about $ .99 a quart) Then we use aluminium primer. Then enamel or epoxy paint, enamel takes more coats to amount to the protection of epoxy.

7. luvforcatfish

luvforcatfish New Member

State:
    ms
    i painted by john boat once and used car paint. worded great.

8. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    when i painted my old aluminum boat i used an epoxy paint from fasco epoxy out of florida, just do a google search for them. It's a two part mix, and they can tint it a few different colors too. It's thick stuff, used on the bayou type boats that go over anything and everything in the water. It helped seal it up a bit as well

9. xOZx

xOZx New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hope it turned out. I just joined.

But, Like others said, I cleaned the boat well with Sctchbrite pades then wiped down with vinegar. Then I used a paint by one of the jon boat companies (Lowe or Fischer or polarcraft...not suren now) and it had the zinc chromate in the paint. Worked very well and lasted for severl years...

10. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I've scuffed up the old coating with scotchbrite pads then washed the whole thing down with denatured alcohol and sprayed it with cans of Appliance Epoxy paint. I think it was made by Rustoleum or Krylon... It made a nice resonably durable paint. I do know what ever the overspray gets on IT STAYS!!! LOL!

11. jcm271

jcm271 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I stripped mine down to bare metal with a sander, cleaned it all up with TSP, primed it with the rustoleum aluminum primer, and then painted it with the rustoleum flat green camo paint. So far it has been very durable.

12. KewlBird

KewlBird New Member

State:
    G.R., Michigan
    Did you used any primer?,any chipping issues?, I've used the EPOXY paint on other things in the past and the finish is super hard.

13. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    we just did ours , we used tractor primer and paint , is very inexpensive ($34 a gallon) , covors a lot of area as it goes on thich and very very durable ..be sure to let it cure for a few days or it will still be rubbery.

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Mark do you have a link to more info on this paint?
    May be painting the 20ft war-eagle when I get it turned into the cool new boat this fall.
    Pete

15. paddle

paddle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :0a17:Seven years ago I striped down an old flat bottom. I used Rustoleum primer and paint. since then I think I have hit every rock in four counties at least three times and it still looks good. --paddle:0a17: