Painting hull

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by miichael, Jul 29, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What kind of paint would be good to paint a fiberglass hull with? Want something fairly cheap but that will be good.

2. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    try your farm and home store for implement paintusually about $20 per gallon. or you might look into woamarts roll on bed liner usually about $40 per gallon

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    bedliner for the hull? i was more looking into a glossy slick paint something i can wax.

4. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Michael,
    Look at West Marine web site. They should have hull paint and deck paint for marine applications. You don't want to use an automotive type paint.

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have painted several with good auto acrylic enamel with hardener. The hull must be clean , sand and wipe the hull down with acetone.It is just like painting a corvette.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Dale is right on it with his suggestion and also you can wash it down with vinegar and water that works well to.

7. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    Micheal I just painted my tri hull with interlux marine paint and it looks great. It is polyeuithane / enamel. I bought it off of Ebay. It was about 10.00 a quart. Best part was I used a foam roller to paint it and it has a deep shine that will knock your eye out. My brother paints trucks for Volvo and he couldnt believe it was not sprayed on. (Good Stuff).

8. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

9. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
  10. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Looks like some good paint. I used some touch up for the outboard with Chromium Nitrate Primer.

Amazing job with a roller :embarassed:

11. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    looks good! did you just pour the paint out in a pan and use roller to roll it all on? did you have to mix anything in the paint to thicken/thin it any? Noticed you said white to where did you find the white interlux paint at?

12. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I went to a local body shop and the owner gave me a 1/2 gallon of paint left over from a paint job he had. Was a good color and free.

13. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    The white came from Ebay to. It was a little more expensive. I think it was 20.00 a quart. I rolled the whole thing. Nothing to mix it has the hardner in it. It takes a little longer to dry to a hardend state. It sure is easy thow. P.S. I wish it was free.....LOL