Painting aluminum

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Hoopie, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Any one have any good tips on painting aluminum? I have an 18 foot tracker that i would like to camo any suggestions?

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Self ecthing paint, it will stick and stay on. Don't waste your time with anything else. Also make sure it is clean before you paint.

3. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Blackhorse nailed it on the head!

http://www.por15.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1331/.f

This is the product I use, not much prep work other than oil and dirt free surface. Can go right over a new car paint job if you wanted to.

4. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    alot of people suggest to bead blast the old paint off then go back with the real good boat paint.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yep you have to get all the old paint off then I rough sanded my john boat before I painted primer 2 coats then panted it 4 yrs ago pant job still looks good lot of work but worth it:tounge_out:

6. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    MY OPINION WOULD BE DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH YOU ARE WILLING TO SPEND FIRST THEN GO FROM THERE. BECAUSE IF YOU SPEND JUST 30-40 DOLLARS ON CAMO PAINT OR WHATEVER THERE IS, DON'T PLAN ON THE PAING STAYING ON VERY LONG, MAYBE A YEAR WITH A FEW SCRATCHES AND ALL, THEN YOU HAVE OTHER TECHNIQUES LIKE THE OTHERS HAVE SUGGESTED ABOVE. GOOD LUCK!

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Ok, that hardnosed paint looks good but $800.00 per 5 gallon bucket?!?! Anyone have any cheaper solutions? (I have 22 mobile homes to paint this year)

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Shawn I know you are going to think I am crazy but the cheapest and most lasting way to paint those mobil homes is right at wal-mart. I have one rental house with a older tin roof and I was talking to this guy and he suggested McCloskyes paint at wal-mart. 14.88 a gal Any color good on wood metal glass concret brick and so forth. I painteed said house and roof 3 years ago and it still looks good. I even painted the house I live in with it and its all my wife will use inside.

9. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I have see large paint companies having adhesion troubles when painting aluminum goes back to the prep work and primer.
    We paint aluminum all the time, the correct primer is all important (etching).
    I would DA it, wipe it down then prime it.

10. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Self Etching Primer... you're wasting time and money if you don't do a good prep job.

11. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would rough sand it with at least 180 grit sandpaper an a DA. I would put a light coat or two of zinc cromate primer, scuff and then you can put a heavier primer (preferably mixed with hardener for holdup) over that to cover any minor scratches. Only then would I be confident that if I sand and paint it will stick.