painting aluminum boat...HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by River_monster91, May 28, 2008.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well yall i got me an aluminum v bottom and i was wanting to paint it camo. anyone know a good kind of pattern or some easy stencil that would make it easier and make it look better. right now it is painted (by me and a friend) and it dont look horrible but it dont look good. it looks like reeds and i like the style and everything but i would like to make it look a little neater and better. any help would be much appreciated.

2. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Cabela's sells stencils in a few different patterns. The name of the product is reelfoot stencils. I used them on a duck hunting boat a coupla years back and it turned out great. They are easy to use and as long as you practice some patience, provide you an easy and cheap way to come up with a good looking camo job on your boat. A lot cheaper than camoclad!

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    paint it pink and blue and tie bows on it
    jusk kiding dont have any ideas maybe someone else can help you

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I know you were just kidding but the Germans did just that in WWII. They would move their equipment at night and be all set up at dawn when the natural colors were pink and blue.
    have a good one
    just

5. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    I PAINTED A 10 FOOT JON BOAT A WHILE BACK.IT CAME OUT BETTER THAN EXPECTED.I PAINTED THE WHOLE THING A BASE COLOR,THEN WENT GET A HANDFUL OF JOHNSTON GRASS AND USED THAT AS A STENCIL WITH THE SECOND COLOR.I THEN WENT CUT A FEW WILLOW BRANCHES FOR STENCILING ON THE THIRD COLOR.WISH I HAD PICTURES TO SHOW.

6. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i tried that with a few tree branches and leaves and whatnot but i dont think i was doing it right.

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I used to do some painting and stuff (never painted a boat though) but I had an idea for you to try.

Get some big pieces of cardboard and draw a few large plant leaf patterns on them. Then cut out the leaf patterns. Then go around spray painting the stencil in whatever colors you want. You might try looking up some plants and using some of them for ideas. Heres a link to some aquatic plant pictures
    http://www.aquabotanic.com/gallery.htm

Just a thought. Hope it helps.

8. kat crazy

kat crazy New Member

State:
    tenn.
    to repaint ur try to find a sandblasting or soda blasting , by the time u clean and sand ,cost wood be close 75 to 100 soda 100 to 200 ,primer will bond better and easer

9. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    Paint it the hottest brightest pink you can find..........might not be good for you but while the other fisherman are busy laughing at you , you can catch thier fish:wink: