Painting a boat??

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by RiverKing, Jun 29, 2006.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I have been thinking of painting my boat, but im not real sure how to go about it...I know there is special Marine Paint that you would use, but would it be easier to spray it on, or use a brush?? Can you buy the paint in a spray can, or do you have to use a compressor?? It doesnt need to look like a flawless show room floor finish, But i dont want it to look like crap either...Anyone have any tips or pointers to make it easier on old RiverKIng??

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    All kind of tips and pointers. First is we need to know what type of boat you have as techniques are different for the types.

3. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    If you have a aluminum boat, contact Sgt.Rob(Rob McKay) here on the site. You can find him hanging out on the Louisiana thread under catfishing the Red River. He painted his boat a few months back, and it looks factory. Rob is a good fellow with lots of info. You will find lots of people here to help you, I just happen to know Rob. I have one year old boat that I want to paint after seeing his. And he made it stick to the aluminum very well. This is just one place or person I know can help you.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    It is a 15 1/2 foot fiberglass bomber..

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Thanks alot bud, that may be more than want i want to get into, i may decide to not paint it

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Painting your boat may make it look pretty, but does little to add to its fishing capability. I personally think you would be better off to put a good coat of wax on the bottom of the boat. It will clean off some of the dead pigment, and scoot like a raped ape on the water. Most people never wax the bottom...too much work. UNLESS your concerned about appearances, then paint it.