painting a boat w/epoxy paint

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by txthumper1691, Sep 9, 2008.

1. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    When I mentioned I was gona paint my jon boat a while back, someone mentioned fascoepoxies.com, I called, ordered some paint, paint arrives a week later, and then heres what happens. mixed th paint for th jon boat, but had no roller, so I try to brush it on. DO'NT DO THAT. it set up in less than 30 min, so needless to say I didnt get my jon boat fully painted. th next day I have 2 rollers and an extra set of hands, for fear of history repeating itself. We mix th 2 cans and pour into 2 sep. containers and roll th paint on as fast as we can. this time it takes 2 full days to set up and completely harden. What gives!? I mean seriously folks. thats crazy huh?

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Temperature and Humidity have a lot to do with the setting up of the paint. The amount of hardener will cause different results. The volume/quantity mixed will affect set time.

I have sprayed alot of Dupont Emeron, an industrial epoxy. I buy old spray guns at auctions for 2 bucks or so as it has set up on me in the gun. They are wasted then.

One time while mixing some with a drill, I added a cold weather agent and had the can spinning on my drill in seconds. I added to much agent and it flat set right now. lol

I love epoxy paints, they are bullet proof. The steel can rust away and that paint will still be in one piece. Seen a door that way once in the steel mill. lol

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Also the mil thickness will cause longer dry times. might be on to thick with using the roller.

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Isnt that stuff made just like that roll on bed liner...except it doesnt have the rough particles in it???? i think it is epoxy-based too...

5. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Well I couldnt add too much hardener, it came in 2 cans of equal amounts, all I had to do was mix and roll. it was very humid tho th days it was settin up, It eventually set up and is tough as hell now. when I re-did th floor thoI sealed it with straight resin an a lil hardener and also rolled it on, used a brush around th sides to seal it better, this boat if stored proper;y will outlast my kids ;) I just hope they take care of it and pass it down to their kids till it just wears out completely.