Paint - What kind of paint for boats without spending thousands?

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by txcatfisher, Aug 28, 2007.

1. txcatfisher

txcatfisher New Member

State:
    texas
    well like some of ya know i have got a new and right now im restoring it what kind of paint is the best thing to use if i dont want spend the hundreds dollars for the real paint for boats

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You want to use a polyurethane paint. Color your choice. I have took val spare enamel and mixed acrylic wet look hardener with it and it held up pretty well.
    Or you can use acrylic paint with the wet look hardener. Also use a good primer sealer with it. If you don't it will chip and crack and flake off. Prepping is 80% of any paint job.

3. Houdini

Houdini New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Krylon has a new enamel paint in the can, runs about $5 per can.Cures in a couple hours & it can be wet sanded to remove imperfections. It's got a great shine.

4. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Cabelas sells some cheap paint that sticks good.I have sprayed it on multiple duck boats and it seems to work fine.Preping the boat is the #1 thing to do.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If you have a paint gun, I used 2 part epoxy primer on mine. I wanted flat finish and gray color is why I used primer. It's made to bond to bare metal or solid existing paint. I think it was $45 a half-gallon at O'Reilly's (1qt paint, 1qut hardener). It should outlive me. Good Luck!

Branden

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I'm wanting to paint mine sometime. Probably not this year.
    Anyway has anyone painted theirs with a camo pattern?
    I have an air brush ,Don't really know how to use it yet, and a paint gun.
    I guess I could do it in the old style military vehicle pattern quite easily but I'd like to put some detail in it.

thanks for any info
    just

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I don't recall where just now but I seem to remember seeing stencils some place. Duck hunting? Mmm.. lemme look.........

Ok, here is one http://www.reelfootcustomcamo.com/ several styles. Might be what you are looking for..