Paint Stripping

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by BIG_D, Oct 26, 2009.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thout i would pass this little tip along as most of you know i bin working my butt off sanding the paint off my boat well no more sanding i tried the heat gun and a putty knife today works great get the paint hot and keep the putty knife hot and you can push the paint right off i got two days of sanding done in 4 hrs today what a life saver hope this helps some of my fello boat workers out

2. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    is this a fiberglass or aluminum boat???? thanks for the tip....I need to strip the paint off my boat just waiting for the 1st snow

3. KyKatfish

KyKatfish New Member

State:
    Summit, Ky
    Guys be careful on old paints! Lead!

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    this is a aluminum boat you are probly better off with the heat gun rather than sanding if your woried about lead no dust with the heat gun

5. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    thanks bro...great info to know....I can't wait to try it

6. KyKatfish

KyKatfish New Member

State:
    Summit, Ky
  7. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    Strip-eze works good on some paints. just have to let it set for awhile then it scraps off.

8. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    So I guess just scraping the paint off my windows is a big no no huh? Oh well we have to die of something. :big_smile:

9. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
  10. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Aircraft aluminum stripper works great!!! Brush on---wait a bit ---then brush it away. We can get it at our local hardware store or auto parts store around here.:cool2:

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I used a big wire wheel on a 7" angle grinder . Had the whole 18 foot long 6 foot wide john done in 2 days . Not a spot of paint on it inside or out . Almost broke my heart to put the primer on it . Still have to paint it come spring .

12. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Just be careful with paint stripping. My nephew mixed some chemicals to strip his boat. They found him unconscious under his boat. It took 8 miserable years for his brain to rot enough to kill him.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Hard to man with a sandblaster that knows how to use it.

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Gotta be careful with a heat gun and possible lead paint. Can get fumes from it. Depending on the type of paint, it can give off fumes too. Aircraft paint stripper has methylene chloride in it I think, gotta be careful with that stuff. Always read the label directions on that stuff. It can be caustic an burn ya too. All the residue is hazardous waste. Lead probably won't kill ya right away, but it could cause some suffering first. Solvents aint' nothin to be careless with, my dad almost died from paint poisoning painting a guys boat. Follow all safety precautions. A couple years ago I was discussing it with some new guys at work. They told me about a guy who stuck his arm in a pail of some kind of thinner and got some real problems from it. That stuff can cause all kinds of problems, and might not be pretty. Can ruin your kidneys and liver, not a pretty sight. And it will rot your brain too. Be careful, good luck on the project.

15. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Marks right I have blasted several aluminum boats ..best way to go..imo

16. Good advice.

17. kat crazy

kat crazy New Member

State:
    tenn.
    WILL BE CHEAPER ON YOU IF YOU WILL GETT SOME THAT HAS A LARGE SANDBLASTER

18. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    no way cant be cheaper all it cost me was a little time sand blasting isent cheap

19. fireman6x9

fireman6x9 New Member

State:
    Phenix Cit
    Any ideas for a fiberglass boat, and how far to go on stripping?

20. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i cant tell you a lot about glass if mark will chime in he can probbly tell you all you need then some lol but my understanding is that the color is molded into the glass but you can paint over it i just dont know all the how too's if it was aluminum i could help more sorry i cant be more help