paint & sand

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by BIG_D, Oct 2, 2009.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    has any one ever mixed sand in paint and painted a boat floor if so did it work out good i am thinking about doing this myself carpet has realy whent up in price sins last time i needed it i bed liner is out i dont much like that stuff plus its not in my price range

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Interlux boat paints has it already mixed.
    You can find it at Jamestown Distributors online. I've bought and used it.
    Seems like it's around 25 a quart.

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    It would be better to go to a paint store and get some shark grip, it is plastic beads made for providing texture, the sand can fracture and then ya got sand on top of your paint, and it wears the paint off.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks Mark

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The interlux has a real fine sand. I don't know that it is sand but it is some type of media like sand atleast.

It's not so rough to the touch like alot of anti slips. It's more subtle.
    Comes in a pretty good color selection. not sure about that particular Interlux product but several of their paints have been reformulated adding Teflon which reduces marring and scratching from use. Used Interlux exclusively on the canoes. Easy stuff to use. You can roll and tip it to look like it's sprayed with some practice.

KiwiGrip is another really good one available at boatbuildercentral.com for 35 a quart. They also have a file to show how it's applied and a video you can watch.

6. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I have done it on an aluminum boat on the interior. I used silica sand. not beach type sand,and it worked real well. First I had some grey outdoor paint from a sale bin,after cleaning the boat and wiping the paint surface down with a alcohol soaked rag to clean it,I poured 1/2 gallon of paint in a plastic bucket and then about 1/4 gallon of the sand and mixed well,painted the sides first and then the bottom,before the bottom dried I sprinkled more sand on top of the wet paint and then after it dried i gave it another coat. the stuff is still on after 8 years without any care taken of it,and it is very slip resistant,but hard on hands and equipment that rubs or gets rattled around on it,like a big peice of sandpaper. The extra sand and second coat were not needed,but I didn't know that at the time!

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey Dallas,
    Check this out, worked great and was real cheep,,,:wink:
    Its been on my boat for a little over a year and I throw the anchor on it and stand up there regularly and it still looks new,,,:big_smile:
    Puddle

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99136
    :roll_eyes:

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    that looks pretty darn good John does that stuff come in diff colors i dont want black on my floor gets to darn hot

9. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    you could try chip guard too. It comes in clear so if you didnt use too much sand it would prob be a darker shade of you baots color. Should be able to pick some up at your local auto parts store.

10. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I looked around on line and did not find anything in color other than the hi end truck liner company " rino and line-x" dont know if the duplicolor can be painted or not, might try a test and see if it sticks, I would think it would be a long shot at best, but it would be worth trying on something small to see..:confused2:
    Puddle

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i bet paint would stick to it as ruff as that stuff is

12. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Most truck bed liners can be painted. I have lineX down the sides of my truck that is faded from being in the sun. I took it to a lineX dealer a few weeks ago and they said if I tape of the truck and hit it with some flat black it would look like brand new. They told me it is done often.

13. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i have heard of doing this but never tried it myself...let us know which way you go...

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well if i dont change my mind i will mix sand and paint i am not gona put much sand i dont want it very ruff just alittle ruff to stop me from busting my big anus lol

15. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've talked to a tech at Duplicolor about that spray can of bedliner. He said that it can be painted with any spray paint you like, but he said (of course) you'll get the best adhesion and wearability with Duplicolor auto spray paint.

I know that Rustoleum makes a spray can of bedliner now, and that they make it in white too. Look on amazon.com, I've seen it on there before, and I've seen it at other on-line auto stores.

16. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Got mine from Wal-Mart. It is Battleship Gray porch paint.Has the sand already mixed in it. Think it was 15-17 a gal.Cheap bu hey your not out a lot of money and can always re coat if need be.