Paint for boats

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Blake Wright, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've been wanting to do the same thing. Been looking at the Truck And Trailer Enamel paint at Tractor Supply. Brush Roll or Spray. $25 -+ a gallon. You can add a hardner to it for a more durable finish too.

2. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Let's do it! I'm ready. How far away are ya?

3. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Are you all looking for a good paint to put on your boats the best kind is appocy paint can't beat it off with a hamer, great stuff.:wink::cool2:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you want to roll and tip it but want it to look like it was sprayed then there is only one paint in my opinion. Sterling.

5. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think there are several variations ov EPOXY paints. Automotive. Way to high dollar for me. And they sell a EPOXY paint to seal concrete floors, not shure about that one.:roll_eyes: Where can we get or read up on Sterling paints?

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If auto paint is too expensive no need to worry about Sterling.
    You'll pay for a good paint. Particularly one you can roll and have it look halfway decent and hold up in an enviroment like submersion.
    I can roll Sterling and you'll never know I didn't shoot it in a paint booth. You pay for that.

Then you haven't even gotten into the epoxy primers and such.
    Paint is only as good as the primer you put under it.

Last consideration. Paint isn't paint. Not all paints will take to submersion very well. Some take to it pretty well for a few days to a week at a time.
    Other paints are made for submersion.

It's alot of work to skimp.

7. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree mark. But I got a good looking boat that I don't skimp out on.:cool2: The one I'm gonna roll is a $300 river stump jumper. :smile2:So I don't see spending more in paint than in the boat. But thanks for the info.:wink:

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    300 dollar stump jumper?
    Mud and moss buddy. Leave the paint on the shelf.

9. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thaaaat's right a 1972 tri hull with a 80 merc. I'm gonna paint it black and zebra stripe it! Hey, if ya can't catch fish ya just well look good doing it.:smile2: Making things look custom is just in my blood I guess. Think of it as a rat rod boat.

10. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Blake you can get epoxy from most an paint store, you can get for fiber glass boats or metel.I painted my mobile home with it and its still on it the last time i saw it, which it was last year.:cool2::smile2::wink:

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I just bought some of the epoxy paint for concrete from Lowes, for the INTERIOR of my boat. I bought the light gray with the colored sprinkles in it. A gallon was $25, and $8 for the colored sprinkles. I'll post up pics when I get it done next week. I think I am going to paint the boat green with a spray bomb. Tommy gives me too much of a fit about the red, and I don't really like it either. :smile2: It's a rat boat anyhow, so no need to make it too pretty. Nothing stays pretty long on the Great Pee Dee! :wink: I did get the hole I knocked in it refiberglassed, bondo-ed and painted. Looks fine.
    BB in SC

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, Bill, that's all in fun, now.... There's not a thing wrong with a red boat; it makes it easy to spot on the water, so I can learn your secret fishing spots. :wink: If you paint it GPD Mud Red, it would be harder to spot, though.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bondo and boats don't mix particularly below the waterline as Bondo is not impervious in any way shape or form to water.
    Other factors. Bondo has no strength built into it. It cant take the pounding without fracturing.
    I learned this the hard way. Boat hulls both flex and take a beating.

Use epoxy thickened with micro balloons, silica, or a combination of the two for "body work" or feathering out glass repairs. It will be stronger then the hull itself and will mechanically bond with fiberglass which is real important to a long lasting hull repair.

If I were going to spend the time and money to sand a fiberglass hull down and shoot it with a professional grade paint. I would coat the entire boat with 2 coats of boat building epoxy rolled on with a foam roller. It will seal the hull and give something for the coating to bite.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Maybe a concrete formulation will stick to glass.:wink:

15. ron16

ron16 New Member

State:
    Pelion, South C
    If you are not worried about having a "pretty" paint job I have used concrete paint with a roller. It is very durable and can be picked up at any home improvement warehouse for about $25 / gallon.