Paint creek

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Hoopie, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Anyone have any info on Paint creek? I'm not talking about the lake, I would like to know if there are any boat ramps along the the creek near Chillicothe. Flathunter you have any info you would like to share? Anyone in that area?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am from chillicothe and there is none that I am aware of. your best bet is to find someone who lives on the creek and just pack a jon boat in. You will not be able to traverse paint creek with anything else (not even a jet or air boat).

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fished there a couple times...but that was in 1968-69 and I was 8 years old. So I cant help you too much. I do remember my mother hooking into a very large musky...it was taking out line and even surfaced right out in front of us. I thought that was the biggest fish I had ever seen. She was casting a gray colored lure called a hell-bender and eventually the fish cut her line. I have heard tell of some big Flatheads coming from there I believe. Good Luck!:wink:

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    no baot ramps on paint creek, and very few people will even allow you to put a jon boat in...even with a jon boat you will be doing alot of carring the boat thru shallow riffles...last year the creek was so low in spots I could almost jump across it.

5. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    well iv never fished the river but below the dam at the lake is a realy good spot or the rattle snake creek.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know of one spot now that I think of it that you could put in a jon boat or canoe.

It's what I call semi public, it's privatly owned but they dont care who fishes it or puts in.

But one big drawback is you would have to carry the boat about 1/2 mile.

Pm me if you want the location, but I would not carry a boat that far.

All the land around paint creek this way is privatly owned, and it's almost impossible to get permission.

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    there are a few spots on 50 with some fishing spots on them,before bainbridge,but i would say that those places are all but fished out.

my dad used to talk of some nice fish coming out of that stretch of river a long time ago,though

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    rattle snake creek.I grew up on that creek in new martinsburg,used to wade up and down that creek all the time.

9. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the info guys. I think I will run down thru there to do some scouting. I know there are some nice cats in there.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Might want to wait. I live about 100 yards from paint creek and it is pretty frozen over right now with just a small channel running down the middle

11. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lol I would say it should be frozen. I am just talking about taking a car ride down through the area looking for acess points for later use.Like when it gets warmer.Thanks for the ice report though.